Hurt Cockatiel! Help
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Health Forum » Bird Health » Hurt Cockatiel! Help Join the Club

12»»

Hurt Cockatiel! Help Expand / Collapse
Author
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/16/2013 1:43:43 PM
Help! My Precious Cockatiel, Tinkerbell, is hurt. Last night I was rubbing her head as usual. I put her back in her cage and she began to eat. I noticed her nose was dirty so i cleaned out the left side of her nose, when i began to clean the right side she got mad and went crazy and ended up falling on the bottom of the cage! :( she immediately stopped using her right foot and has to drag herself around the bottom of the cage :( Another thing is she is in the middle of laying eggs (non fertilized) and i could see the bulge where she would soon be laying another egg before she fell! My dad is a doctor and has always treated her when shes been sick or under the weather so last night he took her out of the cage and had to hold her down to look at her leg. He said it does not feel broken but she is still on the bottom of the cage not really moving around. And when she does move she has to drag her self. We are keeping her in a warm dim room. I exchanged her corn cob bedding on the bottom of her cage with soft paper towels so she is comfortable. We placed seed, millet and water on the bottom of the cage do she can reach it however she isnt drinking and is only eating a small amount of millet. She has an appointment with the veterinarian in two hours. However it is cold and rainy here and i know the trip will stress her out which stresses me (her mommy) out. Is there anything else i can do for her? This bird is the light of my life. I am 19 and have had her for over 10 years. I cant bare to lose her. Please comment with any suggestions! Thank you and pray for my baby girl!
Post #250519
Posted 2/8/2013 9:36:35 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:10:38 PM
Getting the bird to the Vet is the right way to go. Egg laying can sometimes cause issues for birds. The leg thing could be related. You're lucky to have a doctor for a father. Your bird got to see a doctor right away. Stick with the plan here and things should turn out well.

www.ParrotAdventures.com

Post #250520
Posted 2/8/2013 9:46:28 AM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Thank you! i am glad i am doing the right thing. I just felt her and she's trembling a little and of course is not her self. Is this because of the pain? And is it bad that she is not eating and drinking as usual? I will feel much better once i get her to the vet. I am going crazy at home waiting for my dad to get home to help me get her there safe.
Post #250521
Posted 2/8/2013 3:15:56 PM
Just Hatched

got back from the Vet around 4. The doctor said he did not feel an egg in her which is good and that he doesn't think her leg is broken.He did notice that she had was rather skinny which shocked me because she always seems to eat very well. He believes that all of the eggs that she lays takes quite a toll on her body. So he gave her calcium, Vitamin B12 and an antibiotic. He watched her crawl on the table and although he said it's not broke she is still not using it and still can't walk. Does anybody have a familiar story and hopefully a good story of a birds leg healing after time? I requested some meds for her pain. The trip to the vet really stressed her out. She is not used to being picked up the way the doctor had to keep picking her up in an uncomfortable way and shoving a tube of medicine down her throat. She bit him so hard it bled...alot! She had to be grabbed many times at the vet and at home to be given medicine and to be put back in her cage. I don't know if the trip and experience to the vet wore her out or the medicine but she is now sleeping on the bottom of the cage. Will she be getting better soon? Is it normal for her to be so tired?
Post #250523
Posted 2/8/2013 8:52:48 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:32:58 AM
Corn cobb is a major no no. It has the potential to grow mold spores.

It sounds like a major sprain, but I would still worry without X-Rays taken.

I do worry that a seed only diet is not a healthy diet, which can lead to malnutrition. That alone has a multitude of problems.... unless she has other foods she's eating as well.

You may want to look into giving her some flat places to sit/stand on, and keeping her warm. If you don't have one, get a gram scale. They're typically $20-$40 from Target, Walmart or other similar stores. You should be weighing her daily if she's not feeling well and making sure she maintains her weight.

If it's just a sprain, she should heal, but if there's something more going on, it may require some more intensive treatment. I hope she gets better! Ten years together so far? That's awesome!

Post #250531
Posted 2/9/2013 6:28:35 PM
Just Hatched

Thank you so much for your advice! what foods to you suggest I give to her. She does not like trying new foods but i will do anything to get her better!
Post #250547
Posted 2/9/2013 9:05:43 PM

Feather Fanatic

If she's not eating a healthy diet, I would suggest getting pellets into her diet. Ideally, she should be on a 50/50 diet of seeds and pellets. Both diets can be dangerous if fed at 100% for an extended period of time (typically several years), but around 50/50, they balance each other out.

Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips & Tricks

For pellets, get some dye-free pellets that are about the size of seeds. Sometimes, you'll have to go with one size smaller, so for a cockatiel, try with budgie pellets first.

• Try mixing the pellets in with her seeds and feeding those.
  • Remove all food at night. First thing in the morning, offer pellets with a few pieces of seed/millet. After an hour or so, if she hasn't eaten pellets, replace with her regular food.
  • Crush the pellets up (coffee grinder works well for this!), add 50/50 to seeds, and then mix a small amount of water into it to make a thick 'paste'. Make into little balls of food, cakes, etc. Feed these to her. Even if she doesn't eat the pellets, that's fine! She'll still have to taste it in order to get to the seeds!

If you choose one method, try and keep with it for at least two weeks before trying a different method.

You may also want to try a mash diet. A little harder to do with only one bird (or a small flock), but worth a try. A single food item can be rather boring looking... but if you give them a variety of foods to try, in different textures and colors, it might pique her interest! Get some healthy grains (quinoa, brown rice, amaranth, spelt, wild rice - at least one) and cook them. Maybe add in some healthy, cooked legumes (adzuki, lentils, sprouting peas, mung) and different kinds of vegetables (kale, parsley, carrots, dandelion greens, broccoli, peas, corn, bell peppers, collard greens, mustard greens, pumpkin, endive, etc). The idea with the vegetables is that you want something green, something red, something yellow, something orange... a variety. It's like eye candy! You can feed them shredded, diced, minced, steamed, fresh, etc. Although cockatiels aren't big on fruits in general, you can also add in some fresh fruits (berries, papaya, mango, pomegranate, apples, banana, cherries, etc). It should be something like 50% grains and legumes to 50% vegetables, and fruits are like a small portion of that.

If you make too much, you can always freeze the extra and use as needed! In fact, if you have those pop-out ice cube trays, you could always put the extra in to those, freeze, pop out and store in freezer bags to be used as needed.

You can also buy sprout mixes and sprout the seeds for her. Sprouted seeds will automatically be healthier than dry seeds!

I've done a mixture of things, so here are some photos of the various 'things' I've done to get my birds to eat other foods.

First off, the pellet/seed paste stuff

Some different mashes that I've made... some with sprouted seeds, some without.

Although I don't have any pictures of the birds eating plain sprouts, I do have photos of the sprouts that I've grown.

Casey, my first tiel, shown in the above photos, I've had since I was 13 years old and she was about 5 months old. She'll be turning 12 this year. She has been through a couple of rough times, but has always been fine in the end. (one was a big scare!) I hope your girl will be, too!

Post #250550
Posted 2/10/2013 8:13:09 AM
Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
soaking in apple juice and heating them to be sort of oatmeal like may encourage her to eat pellets. Especially in the morning. If she is a lot thin, see if you can get some Harrison's mash.
I use the cold extruded pellets, like TOPS and LaFaber, ground up like a powder ( almost...still lumpy) as the flour in birdy bread. I take all the logs from broccoli a sweet potato, over ripe banana, and any other thing I can cook lightly and run through the blender mixed with several ( this is not rocket science) eggs ( shell and all. The entire thing gets blasted to a smitherines in the blender till it is like VERY heavy pumpkin pie filling, if it needs more liquid, I add either some apple juice or some really smushy fruit like canned mango. ( I also use a bit of baking powder and soda) I add a lot of hot pepper flakes, or ginger or cinnamon for their antioxidant qualities and smell and flavor. Then I bake it till it is not wet in the center and let it sit in the oven till it cools after turning it off. I cut it up into cubes and freeze them and feed the birds with them thawed, warm and broken up. some times I heat one up and add juice and make a mush of it.
I am a by eye, taste and smell cook, so I can not give exacts. Sorry.
The birds love it, the dog loves it and I have conned my husband into eating some and he said it was not bad at all. He said it had some WANG to it. :)
Pretending to nibble on what you want your bird to eat will encourage her to eat, too. So since my QP will only eat what my lovie will eat and my lovie is smitten with my husband he is the one who nibbles and gets into pretending how yummy it is.

About the leg. with out xrays, I would not put a broken bone out of the picture. But a sprained joint or pulled muscle can hurt so badly that she can hobble about like that ( I am currently using a cane because of a bum knee. No breaks, no dislocations. just pain) so she can be a hurting unit. Keep her on the floor of her cage and on very low platforms as Monica said and don't let her get chilled.
I say don't let her get chilled because her muscles will tighten up and that will hurt even more.
Good luck, let us know how she is doing.
Post #250554
Posted 2/10/2013 5:33:39 PM
Just Hatched

Wow!! thank you so much for all of the advice and support! it looks like your birds eat very well! can you buy pellets at most pet stores? I definitely want to introduce her to some new healthy foods! We are still giving her her antibiotics and her calcium medicine. We keep her in a very warm dim light room. She has a soft towel with paper towels on it to keep her comfortable. Yesterday she was walking on the side of her foot but i just noticed that she is starting to use it a little bit more so i think (hope) it is getting better. She cannot perch yet though. We tried and she is just not strong enough for that yet. We are taking it one step at a time. Just hoping and praying she gets through this! One thing that kills me though is when we give her her medicine. It really stresses her out and makes her tired. And the pain medicine she was prescribed (metacam) made her very very sleepy so we stopped giving that. She seems to be getting better. Keep your fingers crossed!!! Thank you so much for all of the support! I will keep you posted!
Post #250560
Posted 2/10/2013 8:35:06 PM

Feather Fanatic

Yes, you can get pellets for birds at places like Petco, Petsmart, Petsupermarket and Petland. However, if there is one available, it would be best to go with a bird/avian store. The cheap general stores usually don't have the best pellets on the market, although some are "ok".

A bird/avian store would have a wider selection of healthier foods to feed.

You can always try mixing meds into greek yogurt, sugar-free/organic fruit juice (apple, cherry, black cherry, grape, etc), honey, low-sodium/sodium free vegetable baby food, putting it on some toast, etc. Anything she likes... although it may still be difficult to find something she'll readily accept!

Post #250568
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:35am