Philippine Kalaw (Hornbill)
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » BirdChannel Community » Misc. Bird Talk » Philippine Kalaw (Hornbill) Join the Club

Philippine Kalaw (Hornbill) Expand / Collapse
Author
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/7/2012 9:57:41 AM
Hello All....

My Tarictic Hornbills are doing great, the female is already learning to fly..

However, I just seen a pair of baby Kalaw hornbills caught by a poacher again. I talk until I am blue in the face but no stopping them. I have a meeting the the DENR on Monday.

anyway, the babies did not look well. the skin had separated from the muscle tissue and bloated with air. the male worse than the female.

Anybody have a clue what will cause that to happen?

Thanks
Ken
Post #246402
Posted 7/7/2012 6:30:36 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 4/17/2014 5:10:38 PM
This doesn't sound like any sort of problem that we would typically see in a caged bird and if we did the bird would go strait to the Vet. These birds are in real trouble and may die soon if not properly treated. Can you get them to a Vet?

www.ParrotAdventures.com

Post #246408
Posted 7/7/2012 6:49:18 AM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 7/7/2012 9:57:41 AM
If I had possession of the birds I would take them to a vet across the island about 4 - 5 hour drive, but they were in the hands of a poacher trying to sell them. I spent about an hour talking about animal conservation and I explain that they were not in good health. The birds were eating and behaving okay, but for how long I dont know. anyway, the poacher would not hand them over to me because they were looking to make some money. I will not pay money for these birds because it would only stimulate the poaching of protected animals.

I sent an email to a vet as well (no reply yet). This is not the first time I seen this condition. I am hoping to get some insight about this condition so I can teach others (including the poachers) how to prevent this from happening and how to treat it if possible.

Thanks for your reply.
Post #246409
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:13am