Sun Conure will not let me touch him
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Behavior » Bird Behavior Issues » Sun Conure will not let me touch him Join the Club

Sun Conure will not let me touch him Expand / Collapse
Author

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/1/2012 4:38:27 PM
History on Batman my sun conure. I had been "visiting"  a sun and green cheek conure at a pet store while buying things for my one green cheek and two caiques. While I has out of town for a couple of weeks my husband surprised me and bought both of them. They were both about six months old. He put them in a cage togeather. When I got home I tried to seperate them. NO WAY. This was two years ago. We moved from Texas to Arkansas in Novemeber. Before the move PeeWee (the green cheek) didn't trust me and now he loves to be cuddled. Batman (the sun) was always a cuddler. After the move Batman will hardly let me touch him. I have taken him to an avian vet to make sure he wasn't sick or injured. He's fine. So this is emotional. How do I regain his trust? By the way I'm retired so they are around me all day.

Post #245208
Posted 5/10/2012 1:41:53 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 8:20:40 AM
Look into clicker training. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just about teachign your bird "cool tricks"! It is based on the idea of using positive encounters with you AND the bird. What may be positive for you may not be positive for the bird, so the goal is to make each encounter with your bird a positive thing for him or her. It's also a great way to learn how to communicate with them and learn to better understand them.

Post #245210
Posted 5/29/2012 5:06:11 PM

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 8/16/2012 7:45:32 PM
It might be that it is breeding season and his hormones are acting up because of that.... Or he just may not be in the right environment that he perfers... where do you keep him and how long have yall been in your new home?

Come visit Apollo the Cockatiel @ . . .
http://www.birdchannel.com/blog/ViewBio.aspx?apid=234822
Post #245473
Posted 5/30/2012 8:46:15 AM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/11/2013 4:11:36 PM
Hello. Just a thought. Are you sure your sunny's a male?

Sounds a lot more like a females attitude to a human female.

If I'm wrong maybe a spot of Bird Bonding will help.

Click on bellow for a look-see. Yours B.J.

http://board.birdchannel.com/Topic245205-4-1.aspx

PATIENCE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME.

FREE TRICKS & BIRD GAMES ON MY SITE.

TAMING, TRAINING, STEP-UP, STAY, RECALL, TALKING.
SHAKE HANDS, WAVE BYE BYE, DANCE, FETCH, etc, etc.

http://www.spanglefish.com/birdjunkiesbirdtraining/
Post #245496
Posted 5/30/2012 10:29:03 AM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 4/7/2013 11:30:32 AM
Yeah, i agree with Monica i would start clicker training. I would start out by offering favorite treats and then use the clicker when your bird excepts the treat, then he will learn the cue of the clicker. Once you are able to get your sun out i would also make sure to give this bird alone time with you, with out your other bird, so the two of you stay bonded. It sounds like of like your sun conure could be bonding to your other bird.

Another thing is that is your bird sexually mature now? This could also be part of the problem. I had a sun conure that was very hard to handle unless her wings were clipped once she got older. Every time her wings grew out, she became aggressive and hard to handle.

One last thought is what kind of room do you have your birds in? i would try to make this room be as similar to your birds old room. It could even be something sitting in the room that your bird does not like, so there for he will not come out.

Come Visit us @ http://sierrarocks.shutterfly.com/
Guest Log in password type in: Flock

She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -Mark Twain ...

Post #245499
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:55am