Acrylic Paint and Birds
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Health Forum » Bird Health » Acrylic Paint and Birds Join the Club

Acrylic Paint and Birds Expand / Collapse
Author
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/26/2012 3:23:38 PM
I'm interested in taking up acrylic painting, but I have a Senegal parrot, and I don't know if it would be safe for him. I think some of the paints have cadmium, which I read might be an issue. I would be several feet from him when painting, but we'd be in the same room (ideally; I don't want to leave him alone while I'm in another room painting). Thanks for any help.

Jen aka "SassyDevil"
Post #244845
Posted 4/17/2012 7:14:38 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:49:48 PM
This is what contact calls are for. You and your bird can stay in communication while you work in a separate room. Talking between rooms is how my first macaw learned to speak. Birds die too easily for you to take a chance on the chemistry of your paint. Miners use to take canaries into mines to alert them to dangerous gases. The bird usually died as part of the process.

www.ParrotAdventures.com

Post #244881
Posted 4/18/2012 9:59:20 AM

Good Psittacine

Good PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood Psittacine

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:29:32 PM
My bird room is my bedroom and art studio.:) I've been painting with full based and water based acrylic for a year and all of my birds are still alive. I think Cinnyluver also paints in her bird room.:) But DO NOT paint with oil paints with birds in the room.

~Forever a WeasleyLover~

MadalynC.com

Post #244892
Posted 4/18/2012 1:42:14 PM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 6/26/2012 3:23:38 PM
Thank you both! I would never do anything to hurt my bird (really, he's my boyfriend's bird, but he's MY baby!), so I appreciate the responses. Yes, I've known they used to do that with canaries. Horrible, but true.

My boyfriend doesn't want me to paint in the same room with Loki, and I called Loki's vet, whose receptionist told me acrylic paints are toxic to use in the same room as him, so I'll keep my painting to my bedroom and chat with him when I'm in here, but make sure to spend plenty of time with him when I'm not. :)

Jen aka "SassyDevil"
Post #244908
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:13am