Tips on building an aviary
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Bird Breeder Community » Aviary » Tips on building an aviary Join the Club

Tips on building an aviary Expand / Collapse
Author

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/18/2012 7:02:10 PM
I am planning on turning a large walk in closet into an aviary for my 4 tiels and maybe the green cheek. I need some tips on how to make it and I need a price estimate. The floor is tile, and I have a full spectrum light to put in.
What kind of wire should I use? (I prefer cheaper kind) I was thinking I could get a glass door and then switch the glass with wire.
How do I put perches in the wall?
What do you recommend using for food and water dishes?
How much will it cost to do all this??
Thanks in advance.

~
CUSTOM MADE PET ART
http://parrotpicasso.webs.com/

My flock:
Post #239783
Posted 9/27/2011 1:50:40 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:49:48 PM
If using wood, you should avoid pressure treated due to the toxins used in manufacturing. Galvanized wire is coated with zinc and that's a problem. Just evaluate what you use in this regard. Good Luck!

www.ParrotAdventures.com

Post #239803
Posted 3/1/2012 11:38:19 AM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 5/17/2012 3:09:41 AM
Fore the wire or screen on the door, I would reccomend heavy guage Aluminum "hardware cloth" (thats what they call it here) The holes in them range from 1/8" to 1/4" depending on size and maker, It's a little more expensive then Other metals but you get around rust from droppings/moisture without the risk of using anything galvanized or coated. It's still reasonably priced I used it on a Huge outdoor attached aviary which took over 15 wide rolls.

Ceramic tile is best for the floors Indoors As it can be easily washed with a hose and hot water, Outdoors bare cement works well too. Id strongly suggest putting a shower drain in the floor to ease cleaning if it's in the budget. Again take materials into consideration.. No galvanized or plated drain covers.

And most importantly, If there's any treated wood, Paint, or wall paper in there it should be removed. as they contain potentially fatal toxins. A cheap (and safe for the size birds you have) alternative wall covering is tileboard.. Its much like a laminate counter top but looks like tile. It's hard and non-porus making cleaning easy, and your flock shouldn't be able to tear into it as long as there are no seams accessible. It wouldn't hurt to explore your local 'Big box' hardware store like Lowe's or Home depot. Theres many options available often used for shower or bathing enclosures. Just when deciding think about your birds and ask yourself Honestly "Is there any way they can break off and swallow this" If so, It's probably the wrong choice.
Post #243799
Posted 5/25/2012 12:41:00 PM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 6/28/2012 10:40:01 AM
I'm building an aviary and need to know if ABS plastic is ok for birds. I went to www.birdcagetrays.com and they say that ABS is the best to use. I don't want to use metal because it will rust.
Post #245383
Posted 5/25/2012 12:46:06 PM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 6/28/2012 10:40:01 AM
I did a google search for wire for my aviary and came up with www.acrylicbirdcages.com they suggested 1/2 x 1/2" stainless steel wire. It's expensive but it won't rust like galvanized wire will. They also told me about ABS plastic for my tray but I haven't heard of anyone who used it.
Post #245384
Posted 5/25/2012 2:19:57 PM
Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
Is there any way you can provide cross ventilation? even with a big door, it will get dusty with the teils dander in there. Maybe putting in an air return duct with a fan sucking the air through the aviary into a filter.
Post #245388
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:20am