Spray Painted Bird Cages
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Housing and Toys » Bird Caging & Accessories » Spray Painted Bird Cages Join the Club

Spray Painted Bird Cages Expand / Collapse
Author

Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/2/2013 5:00:09 PM
Greetings all. I just wanted to share a story with you all of something that happened with me yesterday. My wife & I were going food shopping when we came across a garage sale where they were selling a HUGE cage (about 4ft wide by 5ft tall). I had been wanting to get Spike and Kicko a bigger cage and the people were only selling it for $75 (a cage this size could EASILY go for $200) but was willing to negotiate. He was willing to take $60 for the cage and I was willing to buy it....UNTIL....he explained to me how he used a can of rustoleum spray paint to repaint the cage. He also told me he never had a bird before but got the cage from a friend. Keeping in mind that these cages are ORIGINALLY painted with baked on enamel, I quickly backed out of the sale. I know that my 2 fids love to dance back and forth in the cage with their beaks on the bars of the cage. I did some research and confirmed what I thought. Cages should NEVER be repainted with an over the counter spray type paint. IT IS TOXIC TO BIRDS!! So please my friends, if your cage get's so bad that you consider painting it, DON'T!!! Reconsider and buy a NEW cage that has been painted properly. Just for your fids safety..... On the return trip from the store, we passed the garage sale and the cage was gone. Best of luck to the new owners of the cage!!

"A Bird In The Hand Is What It's All About"
Post #239732
Posted 9/25/2011 7:03:33 AM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/31/2014 3:41:23 AM
I hear you when I saw your post I thought this was going to be a very sad story.  You are so lucky the guy mentioned that he painted it!!!!!

Post #239733
Posted 9/25/2011 6:34:21 PM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 5/31/2013 10:58:29 AM
Words to the wise. I know people who accidently killed their bird by painting the cage. Cage manufacturers can advise you on painting cages. Otherwise, just buy a new one! Thanks for giving a warning.

Bill...It is no coincidence that birds and angels both have wings.
Post #239755
Posted 9/26/2011 7:16:28 PM

Fledgling

Last Login: 11/2/2011 4:25:06 AM
Please email Rust-Oleum They do have bird safe paint. They will tell you what kind can be used on a cage. The cage has to cure for two weeks before it is bird safe

Chloe, Khloe, and Joe Joe's mom
Post #239776
Posted 9/26/2011 8:42:18 PM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 6/26/2012 10:27:45 AM
Years ago, my neighbor painted her parakeet's cage and placed the bird in it the following day. You can figure the end result - tragic.

I never, never forgot that.
Recently, I purchased some used cages. I was really only interested in getting the trays to use under a huge cage I had built myself out of aviary cloth (no paint used at all). The trays would be well beneath the floor of the cage, so it didn't matter what material they were made of.

I did the seller a favor by buying the 2 cages complete. I was really interested in restoring one cage and read here about Rustoleum paint being safe for birds - except the metallic paints.

I went ahead and painted the cage with Hammered Finish. It's been 2 weeks that the cage has been drying. I took it outdoors and scrubbed it down good to get rid of any residue.

UNFORTUNATELY, even after all this, when I wipe it with a dry cloth, some of the paint color STILL transfers to the cloth!!

I decided to ditch the cage and ordered a brand new one from a reputable vendor.

I would NEVER want to suffer a tragedy like my friend suffered. It still breaks my heart nearly 20 years later, and I didn't even get acquainted with the bird. Can't even bear to think of how much pain would be caused by losing one of my own babies to being a cheapskate.

If someone truly loves birds enough to bring them into the home, why in the world would they risk using something that might take their lives????

Post #239784
Posted 9/27/2011 6:35:51 PM

Fledgling

Last Login: 9/2/2013 5:00:09 PM
@melinda...I didn't buy the cage. @desertdweller....The thing that scares me, is that after I told him that it wasn't safe paint for the cage, it looks like he sold it to someone else without telling them he repainted it. And trust me, he did a fabulous job repainting it...it would of fooled me and I probably would have bought the cage if he didn't tell me he repainted it with the Rustoleum.

"A Bird In The Hand Is What It's All About"
Post #239810
Posted 9/28/2011 7:08:08 AM

Fledgling

Last Login: 11/2/2011 4:25:06 AM
For the cage to be bird safe it must be sanded down of ALL paint and Rust. It has to be primered and let dry for a day then light sanding with another coat of primer and another day to dry. It has to be sanded again to rough the primer and then wiped down or my fav. blown off with a air hose. The first layer of paint is light and allowed to dry for 48 hours then a heavier layer of paint allowed to dry 48 hours or longer followed by the last coat. I always let my cages set out side in the weather after the last 48 hours to dry for 3 weeks. I make sure the paint is as hard as rock by trying to chip it. If it does chip i start over. Because i rushed one coat and maybe it needed more drying time. Some times it is hard to tell until it is finished. All my birds are in cages i have redone and the finish is lasting longer than factory. Now mind you it takes a long time to do a cage but it is a hobby of mine. I got one cage done this summer. I started on it March the 23rd and was brought into the house on 9/27/11 for the first time to house a bird. But it was just to big for my space lol so i put it up for sale and in my ad i made sure to say it is refinished. I never have a problem selling the and most of my buyers call me every couple of months to see if i have any more ready.But if you look at a cage redone make sure you find out the paint that was used and try to chip it. If done right you can hit it with a hammer and the finish will not change at all. Happy cage hunting.

Chloe, Khloe, and Joe Joe's mom
Post #239818
Posted 9/28/2011 5:20:15 PM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 3/31/2014 3:41:23 AM
If that person sold that cage without telling the person, he will suffer karma 10 worse than what the bird and the person who bought the cage suffers. 

Post #239826
Posted 3/18/2012 2:44:13 AM
Fledgling

Last Login: 5/8/2012 5:51:33 AM
Delete

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. We apologize for any errors .

www.DRAFT.org
Post #244204
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:53am