Profile Picture

Trimming a conure's nails

Posted By CinnyLuver 3 Years Ago
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Good Psittacine

Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)Good Psittacine (609 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
My mitred/cherry head conure Juni really needs his nails trimmed. They look longer than they should be and they HURT! Last time I trimmed them, I was too scared that I would hurt him so I just barely chipped the tip of each one and it helped for about a week. I've been showed by a vet how to do it but I'm still worried I'll clip too much. Today I decided to do it and with the first one that I tried, he jumped and cried (I hadn't actually clipped it yet...I had just started putting pressure on it). How much exactly am I supposed to clip off? Is it normal if it hurts him a little? A chart or illustration would really help if possible.

Thanks!

~

CUSTOM MADE PET ART

http://parrotpicasso.webs.com/

My flock:

ickybird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,837 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago @ 6:45 PM
Your bird needs long enough nails to be able to clutch a branch. the drapes and his food. So they have to be pretty long. I would say that you should just do as you have done. Take the tiniest tip off and maybe do it more often. That way you and your bird will feel better about it. your bird will also get used to being handled in that way and it will be easier for you.

I have never been able to successfully trim nails alone. I can hold a bird, or I can trim nails. I think my hand is too small and not dexterous enough to do both at the same time.

Monica
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)Feather Fanatic (6,720 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
The following website has a bit of a guide on trimmining nails, including a visual.
http://www.pionusparrot.com/WingAndNailClipping.htm#Nail

The only problem is, if you are working with a bird that has dark toe nails... or an extremely long quick. If the nails are dark, you just trim a small amount at a time. If the quick is long, same idea, although you may want to trim at the same length until you've found that the quick has receded.

Here's another article
Toenail Tips for Parrot Keepers

It's always easier for me to trim Charlie's nails using a dremel vs some sort of shiny clippers, which I don't quite understand why, since the same dremel gets used on his beak, and if that thing is on, he wants nothing to do with me! I should probably get an emery board for the birds.

MFids
:pearl: Casey :bourkes1: Bourke :tieln: Pistachio :tiel3: Tomi Girl :mc1: Charlie :tielf: Faye :rthrtc: Jayde
:irngf: Sylphie (Foster)

Pepper's Pa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,912 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
From what you describe, all you need to do is round the sharp point at the end of the nails. I'd recommend using an emery board.

Good luck. [Smile]

[Smile] [Smile] http://www.senegalparrot.net [Smile] [Smile]

B & M Birds
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Good Psittacine

Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)Good Psittacine (602 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Trimming nails is a two man job. One to hold bird, one to cut nails. Unless you have a very well trained & well adjusted bird. Too many chances for injury when done by one person. Easier to control bird if someone else is holding it.

Bill...It is no coincidence that birds and angels both have wings.