baby lovebird splayed legs
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Bird Breeder Community » Breeding » baby lovebird splayed legs Join the Club

baby lovebird splayed legs Expand / Collapse
Author

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/10/2012 2:26:17 PM
Hello. My boyfriends parents have 2 fischers lovebirds which lay eggs every spring. This year they layed 5 successful eggs and the birds are getting big fast. One of the babies which was born about 4 weeks ago has just begun to show splayed legs on both sides. The one leg actually looks a little twisted. Being the bird lover I am I want to help the baby before it becomes permanately handicapped. I know they won't take it to the vet so I want to do everything I possibily can to help the baby. So please if anyone knows of any good home remedies to fix the legs to at least be somewhat normal then share. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Post #235900
Posted 5/8/2011 2:22:08 AM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 8/9/2013 7:12:51 PM
It can be done with gently taping the leg, and redoing it daily. There's some good how-to's online, here is one:
http://www.2ndchance.info/spraddle.htm

Make sure the lovebirds have plenty of nesting material - it's often caused by not enough in the next box, so the chicks have no support.

Chris's Flock - Cloud the whiteface pied cockatiel, Storm the whiteface cinnamon pearl cockatiel, Emmett and Rose the pied Kakarikis, and my best girl, Calypso the palehead roselaa.
Post #235903
Posted 5/8/2011 10:49:37 AM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 9/18/2012 7:02:10 PM
I've heard that you need to tape the legs (very carefully) about an centimeter apart from each other and then they will grow back that way. Then you just need to keep them clean and change the tape regularly. I think you can use horse wrap tape or something similar that wont hurt the babies skin, but will stick.

~
CUSTOM MADE PET ART
http://parrotpicasso.webs.com/

My flock:
Post #235913
Posted 5/8/2011 1:34:31 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: 4/17/2014 6:02:35 AM
I'm not an advocate of "at-home medical care" unless it is done under the instruction of an avian vet. Knowing that splayed legs are fairly common (from what I've read) in baby lovebirds and need to be treated before it is too late, I'm not sure how long this lovebird has had the splayed legs and if the regular treatment will still work.

Here's the best link I could find that may give you some ideas if seeing an avian vet is not in any way a possibility for treatment: http://www.parrotparrot.com/lovebirds/breeding-lovebirds/fixing-splay-legs/

Good luck in helping this lovebird.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #235921
Posted 5/8/2011 5:32:54 PM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 6/10/2012 2:26:17 PM
Trust me, I would rather get it to the vet but I have a crazy bird that required vet care of my own and am very tight on cash because I have to go away to Honduras for 2 weeks at the end of this month for my major in Marine Science. Unfortunately avian vet care isn't cheap either. So I will do everything in my power to try and fix the baby.

Post #235924
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:18pm