King's Cages "Pluck No More"
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » BirdChannel Community » Bird Product Rant & Rave » King's Cages "Pluck No More" Join the Club

12»»

King's Cages "Pluck No More" Expand / Collapse
Author

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/20/2014 6:19:50 AM
Hi all,

As you may know, I recently adopted a 24 year old CAG named BeeBee who is a serious feather picker. As far as the feather picking goes, he doesn't self-destruct (as in no blood drawn) so since it is pretty much just a cosmetic issue, it doesn't bother me too much. I've had him to my avian vet and all illness, disease, etc. have been ruled out. His diet has improved tremendously since I got him in November and all in all he is improving in health. My vet and I both feel at this point that his feather picking is simply a behavioral issue. My vet recommended "Pluck No More" by Kings Cages. It is supposed to be a homeopathic solution which is completely safe and helps "calm" the nervous bird. I have read some pretty good things about it, but also some pretty scarey things. I completely trust my vet, but wanted to see if anyone in this forum has had any personal experience with this product?

Sue and the flock (Vito,BeeBee, Vinnie and Jingle)

"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans" ~ James Herriot

Post #232058
Posted 1/13/2011 1:08:20 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:54:31 PM
I can't give any personal experience with said product, but I can say that I have heard that it works for some, and does not work for others. A couple of other products I've heard used for the same issue would be Featheriffic and Avicalm, made by Avitech. Again, it may or may not work - seems to depend on the individual birds.

I've heard that sometimes not enought moisture in the air (humidity) may result in picking. African greys are said to need more calcium and vitamin A - beyond diet, if your grey doesn't have one already, you could also look into full spectrum lighting.

Post #232059
Posted 1/13/2011 3:09:24 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:36:46 AM
I spent a lot of money on this product at one point and got no results. I finally quit buying "Pluck No More". If your bird needs more moisture you might try just letting him sit on the shower curtain rod while you shower. The steam that gets into the air would be a wonderful way to deal with a moisture issue. The bird would even view this as a treat.

www.ParrotAdventures.com

Post #232063
Posted 1/13/2011 5:05:09 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

thanks for the responses, I don't have a problem with moisture for my birds, they do get to hang out in the shower and enjoy the steam several times a week. They also get "tubbies" regularly and there is a humidifier in their room where they spend most of the day. They also have adequate full spectrum light. So I think we're all set in those areas.

I was really hoping that someone might have tried this product with some good response. I was also wondering about the warning on the bottle that says "do not feed your bird juice, fresh fruits or vegetables while using this product"....that was kind of a surprise. I haven't emailed the manufacturer yet but will do that and see if I can get some more information on why they say that.

"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans" ~ James Herriot

Post #232065
Posted 1/13/2011 6:49:44 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:36:46 AM
Unfortunately there isn't a magic elixir in a bottle. I think that many of these products are comparable to the patient medicines that were sold in days gone past to people who wanted to believe.

Many of the top experts believe that plucking is the result of a dietary imbalance and some outside influence or there is a medical issue. When a bird plucks a feather it irritates the area around that spot and the bird keeps picking at that spot trying to solve the problem. Calcium is known to ease the nerve endings in both people and animals. A calcium supplement may help more than a bottle of some magic elixir.

www.ParrotAdventures.com

Post #232068
Posted 1/13/2011 8:50:33 PM
Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
Just for general conversation since you got a clean bill of health from the vet...some vets have found that plucking covers up pain in that area. Joint pain, heart issues etc. Sort of like using Bengay or Icy Hot. there is also the idea that it is OCD. Years ago I read someplace that grays tended to have OCD issues. Any way, it is like compulsive hand washing or hair plucking. The tiny nerve stimulant of plucking one feather ( or hair) at a time can detract from other pain or painful issues in your life. Just a thought.
Post #232074
Posted 1/14/2011 7:09:23 AM

Fully Fledged

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice and support! Poor little BeeBee lost his owner in his last home, she passed several years ago. As a result he was cage bound for three years since the husband could not handle him. He was also unable to tell me when BeeBee's plucking started...was he always a picker, or did it start when his beloved human died? The husband was not exactly forthcoming with information. All he could tell me is that "the bird is mean and hates men".....which I can gladly report is completely untrue. However, the question remains (and will always remain unanswered) what started BeeBee's picking??? Anyway, he now enjoys a healthy lifestyle, diet and lots and lots of love and needless to say - plenty of play time out of his cage. He even gets to come to work with me (I have the best job in the world) at least once a week. He loves the attention!  Hopefully this will be enough to help him break the habit. I am spending a lot of time observing what triggers him to pick....but I'll just keep trying to make his life better and if he can't help himself but to pick at his feathers, I love him anyway! I'll keep everyone's advice in mind as we progress, watching for other health issues or perhaps painful joints, etc. So far I have seen no evidence of that, but its good to know that might be an issue.

Post #232083
Posted 1/14/2011 7:13:53 AM

Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 10/26/2012 3:33:01 PM
I have been using Pluck no more and also No scream or something like that for a couple of years with great success. I can recommend this product since i have had up to 40 pet birds at a time. I have used it on several species and believe me i have had every species at one time or another. Currently i am using it on my greenwing which i have hand raised and out of the blue he started plucking. Been to my avian vet and he has been checked out for all the disease related illness and has nothing. I would once again highly recommend it you will see a big difference in your birds behavior after a few days. Calm and loving and just overall nicer bird. Hope this helps some.

Carol@www.crazyforbirdtoys.com
Post #232084
Posted 1/14/2011 10:34:52 AM

Good Psittacine

Good PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood Psittacine

Last Login: 4/19/2011 4:19:24 AM
My Asha tends to do a little plucking once or twice a year and I have used Pluck No More with success. Keeping the humidty high is a good idea as is giving her red palm oil.

Post #232096
Posted 1/14/2011 12:35:22 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/7/2014 11:59:22 PM
Ditto to Tim, I have used pluck no more with Yoshi and the Red Palm oil.  He still plucks with hormones though but does not seem as bad.

Post #232100
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:53am