Profile Picture

Sneezing budgie - serious or not?

Posted By QuincyBird 5 Years Ago
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
My budgie has been sneezing frequently for probably two months now. I just assumed it was normal, but today I realized he never sneezed much before. Looking it up online I found a lot of scary possibilities, and want to know your input.

The sneezes produce a spray of mucous but there is never any random discharge. The spray is just clear. He is not on a pellet diet - only seeds (I've tried since many times to switch him over to pellets but he won't eat them), he drinks water out of a water silo, and does not currently take any vitamins (but i have just added some to his food today). He is kept in my kitchen where at night it does get a bit cold but not too cold, and he has never had a problem before (he's 6 years old). His behavior has been normal since this frequent sneezing began, and he doesn't puff up or look sick or anything.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Could this be an infection, or what could be causing it?

Thank you!

Quincy's proud owner

Lorek
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
birds do a very good job of covering up when they are sick. Have you looked at his poo at all? has it changed any? possibly getting thicker and blacker? i would say, your safest bet would be a vet visit, sounds to me like a minor upper respiratory infection, but i'm not a vet! Smile a quick vet visit would put your mind at ease and assure your cute lil fiddie is well cared for and healthy! good luck in waht you choose to do!

Canary Winged Parakeet - Kiwi - 2006-2012. fly high baby boy, i miss you.

Normal Green Cheek Conure - Tumbler (4yo)

Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Dart (3yo)

Illiger's Macaw - Anduin (15yo)

White Winged Parakeet - Mango (2yo)

Normal Cockatiel - Apollo - unknown age

Raised in Pennsylvania... now living on the outskirts of Kansas

Pepper's Pa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
I agree with Lorek's recommendation to have your Budgie examined by an avian vet.

When you say the room you keep your Budgie in is, "cold but not too cold", how cold is it and what is the temperature change from day to night?

Good luck with resolving the sneezing by your Budgie. [Smile]

[Smile] [Smile] http://www.senegalparrot.net [Smile] [Smile]

QuincyBird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)Fully Fledged (409 reputation)

Thanks guys! I have actually never brought him to a vet before and I'm totally scared to.. what will they actually do to him?

At night it is 66 degrees; during the day it's about 70. And no, there is no change in his stools.

Quincy's proud owner

Lorek
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)Feather Fanatic (2,432 reputation)

a vet most certainly isn't going to hurt your bird if that is what you are thinking! [Smile] when i go to the vet they usually weigh my bird, do a poop smear where they look at his poop to look for signs of sickness, they may also do an oral swab to also look for signs of sickness. They feel their keel (chest) bone to determine overall muscle status (underweight/overweight) as well as just a general exam to make sure nothing seems wrong or out of place. its well worth your time to let them do an exam on your bird and have peace of mind that everything is okay or get some antibiotics to make everything okay if quincy is sick [Smile]

Pepper's Pa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)Feather Fanatic (12,588 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
QuincyBird (12/18/2009)
At night it is 66 degrees; during the day it's about 70.

Those temperatures should be fine as long as there are no drafts. The temperature in my home is usually around 60 and Pepper has lived in this temperature for four winters already. Here's an article on the healthy temperature range for companion birds: http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-care/ideal-temperatures-for-birds.aspx.

You have no need to fear a vet, unless the vet is simply poor at his or her job. Pepper has been seen by two vets and both have been very gentle and respectful when examining him. The swabs and tests of samples a vet does will go a long way in determining if Quincy is healthy or ill.

Good luck with having an avian vet examine Quincy and determining his health. [Smile]

[Smile] [Smile] http://www.senegalparrot.net [Smile] [Smile]

QuincyBird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Thanks for the support. One other question - how do they hold the bird? I know Quincy will not just let them touch him, so I'm guessing they put it in a towel to examine it?

Quincy's proud owner

Chaos_1.0
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)

Vets are really good at hold birds. The bird may not like it but they can easily hold a parakeet. If it was a bigger bird then you would need a towel but a parakeet's bite doesn't draw blood normally so it is really easy to hold them even if they try to fight it.

RAWR!

Lorek
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

my vet always uses a towel so that the bird doesnt' hurt himself if trying to flail in any way.

and i would argue...LOL i have recieved MANY bites that drew blood from keets... though tiels are much more potent Smile

Chaos_1.0
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)Fully Fledged (139 reputation)

Yeah I guess parakeets can draw blood but it hasn't happen with either of the parakeets I am taiming. And my tiel can draw blood so easy when he is mad. He seems to try to bite right next to the nail Crazy

RAWR!