Need bird safe paint for bird cage touch up, please suggest
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Housing and Toys » Bird Caging & Accessories » Need bird safe paint for bird cage touch up,... Join the Club

12»»

Need bird safe paint for bird cage touch up,... Expand / Collapse
Author
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/28/2009 12:00:23 PM
All I can find on bird safe paint for cages is that it should be lead free, zinc free, zero VOC, quick drying, durable, and readily bonds to metal surfaces.  I know most paint is lead free these days and there are numerous eco friendly low and zero VOC paints, but the other properties are not so apparent from reading labels and website information.  I've written to a few manufacturers in regards to content, properties and safety for bird cage suitability of use, but have struck out several times so far. Does anyone know of a paint that can be safely used on a birdcage?  I have a macaw who does a lot of hanging from the cage by his beak and other amusing antics and it's hard on his cage.  He's in a powder coated stainless steel monstrous cage that I really don't want to replace for a few dings here and there. Can someone please help with suggestions on paint brands?
Post #218017
Posted 9/26/2009 8:42:26 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
As far as I know, no commercial paint that you can apply yourself will work on a parrot's cage.  It will chip off the first time the bird chews on it.  You need to have it done professionally.

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #218039
Posted 9/26/2009 7:15:34 PM
Fledgling

Last Login: 9/28/2009 12:00:23 PM
I was afraid of that.  One web site said they contacted Rustoleum and Krylon and posted their replies.  Rustoleum said they had a few products with zinc in them and that those were clearly marked as containing zinc but that the rest of their spray on paints were safe and used on cages often.  Krylon said they were not safe for cages. I went to the Rustoleum website and looked up the data sheets for their products and they were loaded with things I would NOT want my bird chewing on, so not sure where that statement was coming from.  It was definately WRONG. Any suggestions for repair/patch ideas would be welcome ????????
Post #218065
Posted 12/7/2009 3:24:24 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/17/2012 6:04:20 PM
I checked rustoleum- turns out it is safe for bird cages. I used it 3 years ago, and still using the same cage that was done with it daily. my vet also said it is bird safe. if anyone knows differently, I'd like to hear. tiel lover
Post #220378
Posted 3/4/2010 1:31:22 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/17/2012 6:04:20 PM
I was told rustoleum after drying is safe, and after you can't smell it anymore. anyone else know about this- I'd like to hear.
Post #222819
Posted 3/4/2010 1:38:46 PM

Fledgling

Last Login: 3/16/2012 1:37:04 PM
I researched this last year. Bird safe paint should also be chromate free. There are just too many things that can get into their systems, so I gave up the whole idea. The only really safe way would be to have it done professionally and baked on.

Quakers Rule!

Post #222820
Posted 3/5/2010 8:47:52 AM
Fully Fledged

Last Login: 2/3/2012 5:02:45 AM
i used rustoleum on a flight cage a year ago. i was assured it was safe. i took the cage completely apart, sanded it down real good, and sprayed it well. it dried for a day and a half. until there was no sign of odor or tackness. and marley used it for a year. twiggy is using it now. it is still going strong, not chipping or peeling. i think the key is making sure you sand it well to get any debris, loose paint, or rust off. it also preps the metal to hold the paint. smooth metal doesn't hold the paint well.

beth, the crazy bird lady on the corner

skittles-scarlet macaw, marley-black headed caique, twiggy-quaker

Post #222836
Posted 5/6/2010 5:52:48 AM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 9/11/2011 5:47:21 AM
I just bought a poquito hotel from Avian Adventures, it came with a bottle of touch up paint! it looks like a bottle of nail polish. I am going to write them and ask if they sell it by itself, I need it for my new cage!

wishedforabird :)

Post #224728
Posted 5/6/2010 6:06:14 PM
Fledgling

Last Login: 12/18/2010 1:39:43 PM
I don't know where i saw it but I remember seeing something on the internet about bird safe paint. I think it was on a site that sold bird stuff. I wish I could remember because I too am thinking about re-painting a cage that I have.
Post #224759
Posted 5/11/2010 10:33:04 PM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 5/13/2010 10:42:32 AM
RustOleum File Number : 221400
Open Date: 5/7/2010 12:06:57 PM
-----------------------------------------------------
ANSWER:

TRustOleum File Number : 221400
Open Date: 5/7/2010 12:06:57 PM
-----------------------------------------------------
ANSWER:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.  Al ofour consumer paints are safe for a bird cage
excpept the Bright Coat Metallics or teh Cold Galvanizing Compound.  Allow the paint to
cure for a full week before putting the bird back in the cage.

Sincerely,
Shelley

------------------------------------------------------

Product Support  1-800-323-3584
Rust-Oleum Corp
11 Hawthorn Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL  60061hank you for your recent e-mail.  Al ofour consumer paints are safe for a bird cage
excpept the Bright Coat Metallics or teh Cold Galvanizing Compound.  Allow the paint to
cure for a full week before putting the bird back in the cage.

Sincerely,
Shelley

------------------------------------------------------

Product Support  1-800-323-3584
Rust-Oleum Corp
11 Hawthorn Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL  60061
Post #224857
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:18pm