Home » BirdChannel Community » Misc. Bird Talk » Green Pans Join the Club

12»»

Green Pans Expand / Collapse
Author
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/25/2009 12:20:27 PM
Has anyone tried these pans? They are said to be PTFE and PFOA free but still non stick. The coating is called Thermolon.
Post #217642
Posted 9/16/2009 4:21:15 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:02:35 AM
Suzzique, welcome to the message board and forums.

You are correct that Thermolon green pans are advertised as being both PTFE and PFOA in their production. This makes them much safer for our birds and us than other non-stick cookware.

As far as people who use them, the reviews are very mixed. I've read many reviews that they are great at first, but after several weeks they are no longer an effective non-stick surface. Others love and praise the pans after months of use.

Good luck in finding the information you want about these pans.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #217646
Posted 9/16/2009 6:43:02 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 12/5/2013 4:28:19 PM
Suzzique,
What a coinkidink! Yesterday I posted this very topic on another forum.
Well, like I've said, I've had my pan for over a year now, and it has not yet failed me. I feel very secure cooking my birdie omelets knowing that they will not be ingesting anything poisonous.

Pippo-"Pipz" Tiel
Catania "Kitty Cat" Tiel
Garth-"M'boy"-Germ Shep R.I.P

Post #217658
Posted 9/16/2009 7:20:46 AM
Fledgling

Thanks so much for the feed back!  I too have read the reviews. It seems they are a bit hit and miss. However you can have the same problems with regular non-stick. I read reviews on some of the other green type non-stick pans and most of them the over heat point is lower and you can't put them threw the dishwasher.
Post #217661
Posted 9/16/2009 10:08:24 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
Personally, it makes no never mind to me whether they are fume-safe or not because birds should never be anywhere near a kitchen.  It's not only the noxious fumes from heating teflon at high temperatures that it's a danger for the birds, the grease released into the air when cooking (the same grease that deposits on your kitchen walls, ceiling and cabinets will end up coating the inside of the bird's lungs and airsacs) and the drastic changes in temperature are as bad.   The teflon fumes will kill a bird in an instant, the other dangers take years but they are not less fatal.

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #217662
Posted 9/16/2009 1:00:08 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
K&T Dad... Though I have heard very good things about these pans I think I may be still a little more paranoid to try. I might wait longer for more stats to come in etc..

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #217673
Posted 9/16/2009 2:01:51 PM
Fledgling

While it would be great for all of us to have bird rooms that are far away from the kitchen, not all of us have that option. So we do the best we can. My birds live in the living room. Because they are both flighted we had to come up with a way to keep them in the living room. As the kitchen is the next room. You have to go threw the kitchen to get to the rest of the house. So this is my reason for trying to find non-stick pans that I can afford and are not toxic to my birds.
Post #217675
Posted 9/16/2009 5:20:42 PM
Fledgling

Last Login: 10/12/2009 8:10:40 AM
Beatriz Cazeneuve (9/16/2009)
Personally, it makes no never mind to me whether they are fume-safe or not because birds should never be anywhere near a kitchen.  It's not only the noxious fumes from heating teflon at high temperatures that it's a danger for the birds, the grease released into the air when cooking (the same grease that deposits on your kitchen walls, ceiling and cabinets will end up coating the inside of the bird's lungs and airsacs) and the drastic changes in temperature are as bad.   The teflon fumes will kill a bird in an instant, the other dangers take years but they are not less fatal.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to note that "Teflon" is a brand name by Dupont.

The harmful/deadly substance is PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) which is found in many non stick pans not just those labeled "Teflon".  I, personally think that the green pans seem fantastic not only for those that have birds but also for our environment.  Also, self cleaning ovens also contain PTFE and can and will kill birds if used.

Post #217684
Posted 9/17/2009 8:08:48 AM

Community Moderator

Community ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity Moderator

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2/20/2014 6:15:01 PM
Here are some articles from BirdChannel.com and Bird Talk about kitchen safety and cookware tips.

Bird-Safe Cookware: Is There A Killer In Your Kitchen?
Keep your pet bird safe from nonstick cookware
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-housing/bird-safety-tips/nonstick-cookware.aspx

Bird Kitchen Safety Rules
Follow these rules toward better kitchen safety for your pet bird+
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-housing/bird-safety-tips/bird-kitchen-safety.aspx

FeathersNFuz
BC Community Moderator

Are you on Facebook? BirdChannel is! Become a fan and get monthly updates about what’s new on the website. Be a Fan at www.Facebook.com/BirdChannel
Post #217716
Posted 9/18/2009 8:47:21 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
You are right, birdlover, I used the brandname Teflon as a generic noun for all the non-stick cookware but I should have used the correct chemical name for it.

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #217757
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:17am