Bird Behavior, cockatiel eating Poop
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Behavior » Bird Behavior Issues » Bird Behavior, cockatiel eating Poop Join the Club

Bird Behavior, cockatiel eating Poop Expand / Collapse
Author
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/9/2009 7:05:25 AM
Hi I need some help understanding this my bird is eating her poop all the time and I dont understand if it is a nutrition problem or a owner issue. I have cuttlebone in her cage and she eats alot of different people foods with us and seed and mullet as a treat. Please help I am getting grossed out!!!
Post #217338
Posted 9/8/2009 6:58:10 PM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 6/2/2010 12:11:43 PM
I have two cockatiels. They do the same thing. Cockatiels are know to eat their own droppings. Has nothing to do with them not getting enough to eat. Still do it. My little feather Sheero. Does it more. But, older cockatiel KiiSan will do it some times also.

Basicly only thing you can stop is how much they eat of it. By cleaning their playgym or cage. Thats what I do. Animals do what the do best. Weird us out & then we scratch are heads in wonder. I've had many different types of of animals. Find parrots, ferrets & cats to be the most interesting. See ya later, Take care. Need help with any other questions with cockatiels ? Glad to give answers ...

We are lefted by the wings of our birds ...

Post #217339
Posted 9/9/2009 6:46:44 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: 9/27/2013 5:59:33 AM
I would keep the cuttlebone and try a small mineral block, also. Unfortunately some birds do this as there is an enzyme and vitimans they need that they are trying to get from eating their Poop. I would also make sure you have small pellets to offer along with seed. My male lovie was doing this when we first got him and he has in the last six months made use of the cuttlebone, the mineral block and his pellets but it took a while for him to make use of all of them. I never thought he would use the pellets but he is.

Max-Max Pionus, Echo-GCC, Sky&Sea-Keets, Lil'Ham-Fischer Lovie,Pat&Mike-Peachface Lovies

Post #217346
Posted 9/9/2009 8:43:48 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
I am sorry but I disagree.  Cropophagia is NOT natural in birds and it can be a very dangerous thing to allow because the kind of bacteria that is present in the lower intestines (and the feces) should not live in any other part of the digestive system and, if the bird is eating its poop, it will end up in his beak, his crop, his esophagus, etc.  Now, feces-eating is not unheard of, especially in pet birds, but it only happens due to nutritional deficiencies (low calcium been number one), environmental factors (stress), psychological problems (boredom) or a pathology so you will need to do the following:

1.  First and before anything else, the cage needs to have a bottom grid so the bird has no access to its own poop.

2.  If the bird does not eat pellets or has not had calcium supplements (cuttlebone or mineral blocks don't work if the bird is not exposed to direct sunlight or is not supplemented with vitamin D3), give him calciboost (as directed on the package) for five days, rest for two, and do another five days.

3.  Re-evaluate your husbandry: is the bird eating enough produce?  Do you have full spectrum lights?  Is the cage size adequate?   Does he get enough out of cage time so he can fly around?  etc.

4.  Take the bird to a vet for a complete check-up.

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net

Post #217355
Posted 9/9/2009 6:10:02 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: 9/27/2013 5:59:33 AM
Yes the vet is always the best way to go. My lovie was well and after a much better diet, fresh and pellets, and the right lighting he has not touched his own poop since he he has been here the last six months. In my case I think my lovie was in a new home, getting new foods and a whole new life, that could have been a stressor and he was also still a youngster. As Bea said, its a combination of all the recommendations that will stop your fid from doing this.

Max-Max Pionus, Echo-GCC, Sky&Sea-Keets, Lil'Ham-Fischer Lovie,Pat&Mike-Peachface Lovies

Post #217386
Posted 9/10/2009 5:43:29 AM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/7/2014 11:59:22 PM
Same thing with Zuri Ladyhawke.  I had this issue with her after i brought her home too.  Since she has been on a better diet she does not do this anymore.  Thank goodness.  ewwww

Post #217400
Posted 10/15/2009 7:41:46 PM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 10/15/2009 7:35:58 PM
My parakeets have eaten their poop. It is possible they mistake it for seeds. I have had luck with stopping the smarter one from eating his poop by telling him "Don't eat". I agree with an earlier post that the cage and surroundings must be clear of waste product.
Post #218750
Posted 10/15/2009 9:50:56 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 12/5/2013 4:28:19 PM
I realize this is an old-ish thread. But I have something to add. No one mentioned that tiels are foragers. Like in a very big way. Also, When bored and have nothing better to do, pick at some crusty poop! They are extremely intelligent and require constant cerebral stimulation. It might be a good idea to evaluate their dwelling. Do they have vegetation (parsley,broccoli, kale, timothy hay) attached throughout their cage or play area to munch and forage through?
Colorful toys that get moved around every few days?
Just my 2 cents.

Pippo-"Pipz" Tiel
Catania "Kitty Cat" Tiel
Garth-"M'boy"-Germ Shep R.I.P

Post #218752
Posted 12/6/2009 1:11:23 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/17/2012 6:04:20 PM
I took care of that problem, on my new cage- the cage bars are above the solid bottom by 4 or 5"- no way can they get to it, except what lands on top of the nesting box. I wash that with wet paper towels sometimes twice a day- if it's needed, thats the feature I was looking for when I needed anoer cage I can reach in there and clean it without even opening the cage door-- I love it!!
Post #220339
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:42pm