So how do I hang the cuttlefish bone?
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Species and Mutations » Cockatiels » So how do I hang the cuttlefish bone? Join the Club

So how do I hang the cuttlefish bone? Expand / Collapse
Author
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/21/2009 5:06:56 PM
Let's get past the debate about whether they (cuttlefish) are an effective dietary supplement - my birds are entertained by them so that's good enough for me.

I have purchased the "Top Wing" brand and it has a little metal clip for attaching "to all cage types" - however my birds will bite and twist the clip off and render it ineffective. So sometimes the cuttlefish only gets 2 or so bites before it ends up on the cage floor and gets crapped on.

Is there a "proper" way to attach it so it doesn't end up on the cage floor?
Post #214351
Posted 7/1/2009 7:42:15 AM
Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: Today @ 9:03:09 AM
Well, if your birds are EATING it, can you break it up into their food...a bit each day? I think they make little cages to hold foods close to the cages. Maybe that is a good idea. I know that many birds do not eat the cuttle bone but use it to rub their beaks on and to keep them smooth and clean.
Post #214354
Posted 7/1/2009 8:21:53 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/7/2014 11:59:22 PM
My teil did the same thing yrs ago and I used to push it horizontally between the bars.  He would stand on it and chew it to bits.

They do make a holder with a bottom to it.  I think i remember seeing them at petco.

Post #214357
Posted 7/1/2009 10:41:15 AM

Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Last Login: 8/18/2009 9:22:13 PM
Those metal clips are so flimsy, have you tried quick ties? They can bite through them also but you can buy a bunch at Lowes or Home Depot and just keep replacing them as needed, they are also good for use in making/hanging toys.

The difference between parrots and kids is that it's cute when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com

Post #214361
Posted 7/2/2009 3:33:31 AM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 7/21/2009 5:06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out and see which works best.
Post #214381
Posted 7/2/2009 11:00:34 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
I do what Ditty did, I put them between the bars of the cages (only I put them standing up on the top because the cages are all locked and empty inside).

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #214401
Posted 7/2/2009 9:35:09 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 12/5/2013 4:28:19 PM
Hi fids!

how about a holder:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14334

Pippo-"Pipz" Tiel
Catania "Kitty Cat" Tiel
Garth-"M'boy"-Germ Shep R.I.P

Post #214427
Posted 7/26/2009 4:46:08 PM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 1/26/2010 10:48:28 AM
I used to use those type of cuttle bones until one of my tiels recieved a nasty cut which left a huge scar on his face under his eye.  Now I buy the type that have a wire built right into the back of the mineral block part of it.  Not only is it better for them [because they get the extra minerals as well as the calcium from the cuttle bone] but they also have no way of getting it down and getting hurt from it.  When the cuttle bone/ mineral block is all eaten, you mearly remove the wire and throw it away.  Good luck.

The Fids of Sweet Pea Aviary, Rescue and Rehabilitation
Post #215333
Posted 7/26/2009 4:57:40 PM

Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 12/26/2009 12:27:14 PM
Personally, my birds have both a mineral block and a cuttle bone. I buy the larger cuttle bones that have no sort of hole, because they're a better buy (HUGE for less money), $1.10 for that type, $3.99 to buy a packaged one in the store. Anyway...I use a stainless steel screw to put a hole in the top, and then use a cable tie to secure it at a the top to the cage. My birds have never had much luck with holders, so this is just easier for me.

Hope you find something that works for you .

Jasper - Senegal Parrot

Winston - Canary

Elvis & Kiwi - Budgies

“She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you'd call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.”

Rio - Green Cheek Conure ~ RIP
Post #215335
Posted 7/27/2009 5:25:02 AM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 9/18/2010 6:59:20 AM
I simply drill a hole through the cuttlefish with a hand wood drill, thread some cord through and tie it in an appropriate spot.
Post #215346
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:01pm