Millet seed spray addiction
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Behavior » Millet seed spray addiction Join the Club

12»»

Millet seed spray addiction Expand / Collapse
Author
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/10/2009 5:55:51 PM
So, I just got this cockatiel. My uncle gave her to me because they discovered he had a severe allergy to her and it was killing him, literally. It put him in the hospital twice and he's on an oxygen tank.

Needless to say, they were extremely attached to her, so she is extremely spoiled. Spoiled to the point where all she will eat is millet spray. They gave me a HUGE bag FULL of food that she won't eat because she demands millet spray.

I've owned various species of birds for about 8 years, from canaries and finches to lovebirds and conures and parakeets, including cockatiels. I've never had a problem switching them onto pelleted food with seeds as a treat.

However, the extent of this birds addiction has me a bit worried and I'm looking for any special tips or tricks that will help.

I'm starting the switch now that she's settled in. She's no longer getting millet sprays hung with a clothespin. Right now, the goal is to at least get her to eat normal seeds mixed in with pellet, because she won't even eat that. I got her to eat some Beak Appetit, which is a cookable pasta for birds this morning with some wheat bread, and then some millet. And I just removed the dish that hung underneath her millet sprays (to catch what she drops so she can eat the good seeds) and filled it with regular birdseed and sprinkled millet spray on top. She ate the millet on top, but not anything under.
Post #213143
Posted 7/1/2009 12:27:13 PM

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 5/29/2010 4:46:14 PM
Hello! My new Green Cheeked Conure, loved her millet spray. I think it was the only treat she had ever had.
After being with us now for 3 weeks, she loves eating raisins and dried cranberries and walnuts and any nut actually. Esp peanuts in the shell.

What I noticed was her millet spray took 2nd place if not last place to all these yummy foods, like Pasta, brown rice and veggies. I give brown rice and veggies as a breakfast ev other day. The millet spray was just sitting there unused. So, now she's gone off it.

Try to introduce her to some dried fruits, mango and papaya, nutriberrries etc. You may very well find that she will be ecstatic at the new tastes and will DX that millet in a heart beat :D

Also, give it to her less and less as you introduce these new foods. I've always heard that millet has little to no value in protein or calories. So I look at millet spray as candy. And, my GCC treated it like candy, actually standing on it and devouring it. No more of that, now that she's met the cranberry!!

Good Luck!
CT

Gilda Rose Radners Mom The Comic GCC
Post #214363
Posted 7/1/2009 1:39:27 PM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 7/3/2009 6:13:55 PM
I'm going to use some of the tips you suggested for Annie the Budgie, and stop hanging millet spray where she can eat it whenever she wants it.  That way I can also use the millet that she loves so much as a treat for wanted behaviour.  That makes sense, and I am going to see if she will eat raisins and cranberry, so far she turns her beak up at any fresh veggies or fruit.
Post #214365
Posted 7/1/2009 3:31:21 PM
Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
Don't give her the millet till she has had some other food...or a chance to eat some other food. also have her right by your side when you eat and make a big deal about how good what you are eating is. Pick foods that you want her to eat or pretend to eat what she is supposed to eat.
I want my lovie to eat Tiel sized Zupreem natural. It looks very similar to the granola I like. So I got myself a bird cup of granola and her one of Zupreem and I sat down and ate it in front of her. One piece at a time, dry, and made a major issue about how yummy it is. I invited my husband to try some and then covered it up till he made an issue of wanting some granola. Once I gave him a bit ( right in front of the bird) he made a big deal of it too. This went on for a couple of days and then she couldn't stand it any more and had to eat her "granola" with us.
Post #214369
Posted 7/1/2009 4:22:46 PM
Fledgling

Last Login: 10/10/2010 3:30:34 PM
When I lost a budgie I loved to a lipid tumor, because of seed only food, I knew I had to get my cockatiels on pellets. It took a long time. I offered the pellets (Harrison's organic) first thing in the morning when the birds are usually really hungry. I watched & if they weren't eaten I eventually offered seed. But less and less. Eventually the cockatiels started eating the pellets. I took the seeds away more and more as they took pellets, because the seeds were always first choice. With my parrotlet, it took about a year to get her completely on pellets. I found feeding her from my hand worked. You just have to keep trying different things and not give up. Eventually they accept the pellets. Now I add vegetables and rice or pasta, but keep the pellets as the main food that is always available. Millet seeds are a rare treat. The main thing is, to keep offering the pellets until they are finally accepted.
Post #214371
Posted 7/3/2009 10:12:37 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
Allforbirds, please do some more research about tiel diets because they don't really do well on pellets.  They mess up their kidneys.

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #214455
Posted 7/3/2009 4:37:37 PM
Fledgling

Last Login: 10/10/2010 3:30:34 PM
What do you suggest I feed my 'tiels? They are 12 1/2 and 10 1/2 respectively, and have been on mostly pellets since 2000. I don't want to hurt my birds and am really interested in your reply.

Thanks.
Post #214470
Posted 7/9/2009 5:54:16 PM

Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Last Login: 4/17/2014 7:17:11 PM
When I first got Cinnamon he only ate seed- he had to learn the hard way to eat pellets cuz I didn't hav any seed- he didn't eat anything for a whole day and then the next day I put some fruit with the pellets and now he eats everything just fine.

If they get hungry enough they'll eat anything you put for them.

Words that Cinnamon can say: Goodnight, I love you, Cinnamon, HAHAHAHAHA, NO, Come here, what is that?, I'm gonna get you!, Hello!

Post #214639
Posted 7/22/2009 2:44:57 PM

Fledgling

Last Login: 12/18/2011 4:03:05 PM
my senegal loves millet  if he doesn't have it he will screech all day and once he is given it he  will devour it    just wondering if birds need the millet or if i can stop giving it to him  would rather not build any bad habits with his screeching
Post #215174
Posted 7/23/2009 5:17:04 AM
Big Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
Millet is not bad per se but it is fattening and it has very little nutritional value compared to other grains so it's not recommended to feed it to them all the time or in large quantities UNLESS we are talking about a species that requires this kind of food (some types of finches, for example).   I don't know what else you feed your bird so it's difficult to give advice as to how to break him out of the habit but, assuming he has an adequate diet (gloop and fresh produce every day), I would start by breaking up the spray so he only gets the seeds themselves, once he is used to this, start reducing the amount and mix them with another grain, a better one, like amaranth or quinoa, they are similar in shape and size to millet and the bird will enjoy them as much.  Once he is eating the other grains, start mixing some others like oat groats, wheat, triticale, etc.  At the same time, reduce the number of times and portions so he ends up eating a small portion of the grain mix at night for dinner.   The trick is to do it gradually and consistently and not to give in to his demands.  

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #215176
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:18am