Profile Picture

Conure laying eggs

Posted By mollymonticello 5 Years Ago
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Some of you might remember Chicken, my green cheeked conure. She is six years old and lives with Kiwi, a five year old (I assume male) maroon bellied conure. I'd rather not talk about hybridization in this thread, If future browsers of this forum wish to know more about hybridization, they can use the search feature.

About two weeks ago, Chicken pulled out all the feathers on her belly, pretty much overnight. She has always been a feather destroyer, even before she was weaned, but had never plucked them before. I was very upset about this! A couple days later, I saw an egg broken on the floor of the cage and removed it. I added an extra cuttlebone and mineral block and cut back the time her UV light is on.

She continued to lay eggs, I found each one broken on the floor. I realize that having a nest box will encourage birds to breed, but I got one for her in the hopes that she would stop laying them on the floor to break. If she keeps breaking them, she will just keep laying eggs to replace the lost ones.

She is up to six eggs laid now, one is still intact in the nest box, which she is using. She doesn't seem to be incubating the egg, which makes me wonder if she plans to lay more.

Tonight I brought home a breeding formula pellet food, multivitamin, and a liquid calcium supplement. The last thing I want is for her to lose weight or become egg bound.

She is acting totally normal and even comes out to play and lets me pet her. Kiwi is acting a little protective of her and the nest, but when he is outside of the cage, he is his normal sweet self.

How many eggs can a conure lay before being in danger of severe stress and calcium depletion? I've read that canaries and similar birds may pull out some feathers on their bellies during breeding. Has this ever been documented in parrots? Or did she pull her feathers out probably from stress?

R to L: Contessa, red-lored amazon; Kiwi, maroon-bellied conure; Chicken, green cheeked conure.

Chicken dancing movie--

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Chicken-dancing

Pionus Parrot
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fledgling

Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)Fledgling (42 reputation)

Hi - I have 2 or 3 hens (Pionus) that moreless pluck out their chest feathers before and maybe during the mating season... even while in the egg laying mode.

Numerous hens can do this and can be any parrot specie really. For extra calcium you can offer cuttlebone in the cage or take some and use the edge of a butter knife and scrape it on the cuttlebone of the soft part and flake it into their food that helps... perferrably on moist food so it sticks better. Some hens during the breeding season will eat on cuttlebone more so than at other times of the year.  I know when I use to breed Cockatiels they were real big on wanting and demading their cuttlebone.  Clean egg shells like from chicken eggs are fine to crumble into their food as well for calcium.

Jan
Leg Band Registry

Pepper's Pa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,287 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:14 PM
Welcome back, it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen you post here.

I’m sorry to hear of Chicken’s sudden behavior changes and egg laying. GCC’s tend to lay clutches of 4-6 eggs, so with six eggs being laid Chicken may stop now . . . even with the eggs that were broken.

I believe what you are doing in terms of reducing the hours of light, providing a nest box and providing increased calcium and nutrients to her are all good modifications to help her. Remember that it is possible to produce a vitamin toxicity and by combining the different pellets and supplements you are providing, this needs to be considered.

The links to articles found here may provide you some help: http://www.birdchannel.com/search.aspx?q=calcium

This article, though older, may be of interest to you: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww22eii.htm

Some questions that your post raises are:

Has Chicken ever laid eggs before?

Have you observed Kiwi mating with her?

Have there been any recent changes in routine or environment that may have motivated Chicken to lay eggs?

Do you regularly weigh Chicken so that you have a record to compare with her current weight and observe any changes?

If Chicken continues to lay eggs or show additional changes in her behavior do you have an avian vet who can examine her to determine if there are any medical concerns?

I hope you are able to find the answers you seek and provide the best care and support to Chicken as possible. Please keep us updated. [Smile]

[Smile] [Smile] http://www.senegalparrot.net [Smile] [Smile]

mollymonticello
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)Fully Fledged (386 reputation)

Thanks for the welcome, Pepper's Pa. It's been a while since I've been here. So busy with work and caring for my little feathered and finned family.

Chicken has laid eggs, once before in the Spring of 2006, when she was three. That was right after we moved and she lived in a separate cage than Kiwi. Now they live together in a big cage.

I haven't observed them mating lately, but that doesn't mean they don't do it when I'm not looking at them. I've seen them do it in the past, but not frequently. I think Kiwi is male because he likes to, um, rub his vent on things...

The only thing that has changed is the season. My female amazon also goes crazy in the Spring, but she is almost 30 and doesn't lay eggs anymore.

I have an avian vet, but she is almost 2 hours away. She is the closest vet to us where we live now. I'd have to take a day off work to take Chicken to the vet, but I will if I need to.

Chicken is acting normal, aside from nesting, plucking, and laying eggs. She still eats, dances, talks, and comes out when I ask her to. She hasn't laid any more eggs or plucked out any more feathers, thank goodness. She wouldn't like me putting sweaters on her.

R to L: Contessa, red-lored amazon; Kiwi, maroon-bellied conure; Chicken, green cheeked conure.

Chicken dancing movie--

Edited 5 Years Ago by mollymonticello
mollymonticello
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Well, right after posting the other day, I realized that Chicken was sitting on her egg. She's been sitting on it ever since. I saw her come out last night to eat, poop, and get a drink of water.

I have a flashlight that I've been checking on her with. When she is inside the box, she fluffs up all her feathers. I wonder if they do that during incubating to regulate their body temperature.

I have to wonder if she is bored all day, just sitting in the dark.

I also stopped using the multivitamin, it slipped my mind that the food probably has plenty of vitamins in it. Thanks for reminding me Smile

Chicken dancing movie--

Edited 5 Years Ago by mollymonticello
mollymonticello
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Well, she laid another egg a couple days ago and is now sitting on both.

I have a question: What do birds look like when they are sitting on their eggs? Is it normal for them to fluff out all their feathers and sit very low to the ground?

She is still coming out only a couple times a day to eat, drink, and poop.

Anyone know a good place to get dummy conure eggs? I found some online, but they are ridiculously expensive.

Chicken dancing movie--

Monica
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,553 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday @ 6:48 PM
Birds usually fluff up some while sitting over their eggs so that they can cover the egg and keep them warm. If they feel threatened, they may puff up even further, perhaps even swaying some. So long as she doesn't look sick she should be fine.

As for fake eggs, there's Red Bird Products and Fake Bird Eggs, although there are other places as well. You should be able to get the cockatiel or budgie/lovebird sized ones and use those.

MFids
:pearl: Casey :bourkes1: Bourke :tieln: Pistachio :tiel3: Tomi Girl :mc1: Charlie :tielf: Faye :rthrtc: Jayde
:irngf: Sylphie (Foster)