Do Birds get Colds?
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Health Forum » Bird disease » Do Birds get Colds? Join the Club

12»»

Do Birds get Colds? Expand / Collapse
Author
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/26/2009 5:08:03 AM
As mentioned in another blog, I have a cockatiel that I am bring to the vet for some cold symptoms.  Sneezing, Crust around the nasal passage, lack of enegry.

I know that there are many very serious diseases, but is it possible it is just a "common cold" for a bird?

Post #210421
Posted 4/14/2009 9:48:48 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
No.  Birds don't 'catch' the common cold virus.  It's most likely a vitamin A deficiency and/or a fungal infection, tiels are very prone to them.

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #210429
Posted 4/14/2009 12:45:05 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: 9/27/2013 5:59:33 AM
Yes it does sound like a fungal infection.

Max-Max Pionus, Echo-GCC, Sky&Sea-Keets, Lil'Ham-Fischer Lovie,Pat&Mike-Peachface Lovies

Post #210442
Posted 5/19/2009 11:52:06 PM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 2/15/2013 9:21:38 AM
My BFA occasionally sneezes, should I be concerned? She doesn't have any discharges anywhere (eyes, nose, etc.), and shows no other signs of being unhealthy.

Owned by Captain Flint (CAG)

Freddie (BFA) & Sunny Jim (lovebird)

Post #212344
Posted 5/20/2009 6:19:43 AM
Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
Well, a 'cold" is a viral infection of the sinuses and upper respiratory system. So yes, if a virus can find a place to plant itself, it can cause a 'cold'. But I do not think they would normally catch them from us.
Post #212349
Posted 5/20/2009 8:44:14 AM

Feather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:33:55 PM
If parrots *CAN* catch a cold, it would not be the same virus as humans have. As Bea mentioned, it could be a sign of vitamin A deficiency, however, with that said, it's normal for birds to occasionally sneeze. When in doubt, seek avian vet advice.

From Healthy Bird Cookbook, Chapter 3, page 44-45.

Vitamin A (Beta Carotene)
Symptoms of a Deficiency:
A bird with a vitamin A deficiency lacks energy. The bird can have abnormal feather structure, coloring, and growth. Decreased egg production, longer time between clutches, and poor hatchability are also reported. Males will develop a low sperm count. In extreme cases, the central nervous system is affected. Sometimes there can be lesions around the eyes, mouth, feet, and skin. Bones may not develop properly, and even kidney problems may occur. Night blindness is also reported, as well as changes in the cornea. Skin problems evidenced by a dried, thickened appearance, can be seen on the feet, cere, and face. Swelling of the sublingual salivary gland can be present, especially in Amazons, African Greys, and Cockatoos. Renal gout may occur in some cases.

Post #212359
Posted 5/20/2009 10:34:58 AM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 6/22/2012 2:28:23 PM
I think my birds get hayfever.When I take them out now theyll sneeze and cere gets a little red.
Post #212364
Posted 5/20/2009 10:40:17 AM
Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
Parrots most definately DO get allergies! My BGmacaw has very bad ones and we think they are to the other bird, or the dog or what this house has in ti. she has to get her sinuses flushed every 3 months by the vet or she can grow a virus, bacteria and or fungus in her sinuses. when I fist took her to the UW vet school, for sneezing and red face, they found all sort of nasties growing there. I have changed much of her diet to provide more A and still the allergies provide an environment for infection.
Post #212366
Posted 5/21/2009 7:50:04 AM

Community Moderator

Community ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity ModeratorCommunity Moderator

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2/20/2014 6:15:01 PM
Margaret A. Wissman, DVM, DABVP — Avian Practice, answers the question "Can birds catch a cold from drafts?" in this past Bird Talk magazine article now posted on BirdChannel:

Winter Care Tips
How to care for your pet bird during winter.
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazines/bird-talk/2009-march/heating-your-home.aspx

FeathersNFuz
BC Community Moderator

Are you on Facebook? BirdChannel is! Become a fan and get monthly updates about what’s new on the website. Be a Fan at www.Facebook.com/BirdChannel

Post #212420
Posted 7/25/2009 8:34:54 PM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 4/12/2014 6:54:10 AM
Sneezing is mostly due to a change in humidity which can vary from one room to another. However it can also be a sign of a sinus problem. Also look for moisture around the nasal openings, and exposure of these openings as normally there should be good coverage. Another sign of this is if your bird shakes his/her head suddenly. This sinus problem can actually cause headaches which can appear as though there is lack of energy. Also the eyes should normally be nice and clear and alert.
Post #215299
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:27pm