Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » BirdChannel Community » Misc. Bird Talk » Leg Band Join the Club

Leg Band Expand / Collapse
Author

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/26/2009 11:25:35 AM
Does anyone know of a website that I can log Morghan's leg band number into so that I can see where she came from. I did some searching and I couldn't find a database, from what I did find it looks like she was imported. Her band is an open band, orange and alluminum.

Jennifer

Post #208507
Posted 3/21/2009 2:21:33 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 4/18/2011 10:42:04 PM
People say that an open band, or lack of a leg band indicates a wild caught parrot-- however I don't think this is always true. My senegal is unbanded, and I believe it was just a preference of the breeder. I got him at four weeks old from a breeder who had taken two babies from a friend. It just wouldn't seem to add up, to me, that it was some kind of import operation :P

Now I am no expert, but my guess is, if you're talking about your cockatiel, I doubt she was imported. Tiels are quite prolific in the States (of course that's assuming you're in the states).

She's very pretty, by the way.
Post #208512
Posted 3/21/2009 2:46:28 PM

Fully Fledged

Yes, I am talking about my tiel. Like you, I am wondering if she was imported as well, I would think there are enough tiels in the U.S. to have a prolific breeding population. I don't think she was wild caught, but possibly bred in another country. According to the site I was looking at the parrots receive open bands at a holding station when they come to the U.S. The site says breeders use closed bands to tell the difference. It may be that it's just not done that way anymore, but I'm not really sure. She came from a chain pet store. I don't get my parrots from chain stores as a rule, but when I saw her I just knew I had to take her home. It could be that the store uses imports as they may be priced less and they can sell for a bigger profit. I think I am just going to have to put a call into the store and see if I can get someone to tell me something. When I got her they couldn't tell me anything, but I may have just been talking to the wrong person. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it

Jennifer

Post #208513
Posted 3/21/2009 3:53:56 PM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 10/29/2013 4:19:05 PM
Do you know what company the band is from? If you can figure that out then you should be able to go to their web site or find a contact number online and they should be able to tell you where the bird came from. Is there any symbol or combination of letters on the band? Some breeders have a special picture or letter combination for their birds.

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because
it has a song.
Post #208519
Posted 3/21/2009 4:39:39 PM

Fully Fledged

I don't know what company the band came from. It has 3 letters and then a space then 4 numbers that follows. I did find a site with breeders bands on it, but none of them match. It might be that whoever bred Morghan hasn't registered with that site.

Jennifer

Post #208524
Posted 3/21/2009 5:09:02 PM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 4/18/2011 10:42:04 PM
I honestly cannot imagine an imported tiel would be cheaper. There are generally quarantines to deal with, as well as simply the cost of transport.
Tiels are incredibly easy to get where I live, but that's Florida and I think we have more breeders in general. And the profit margin on these birds seems to me to be very large-- that is, from some breeders you can get them as low as $35 (though in my experience the fancier colours, like yours, tend to be a little more pricey) And then I have seen common grey tiels for as much as $100 at a Petsmart!

My best guess for why your bird would have an open band is that the breeder didn't band birds, but when the store acquired her, they put one on. They may have done so for id purposes, in making sure the bird was healthy & etc.

I understand why you're curious though, I actually was hoping to get a picture of my bird's parents! It's always neat to see where our little guys' come from.

I wish you luck with finding out.

Oh, I wanted to add, I would try calling the pet store and ask to talk to whomever buys the birds. It may just be symptomatic of how irresponsible these places are that they can't even tell you where they get their birds, as it seems like the responsible thing to do would be for them to keep records. :/
Post #208527
Posted 3/21/2009 6:45:13 PM

Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Last Login: 8/18/2009 9:22:13 PM

There is also a group on Yahoogroup that may help here

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LegBandNumbers/

Here are some links that may be helpful.

NATIONAL LEG BAND REGISTRY - http://www.buddysfriends.com/registry.html - used to be able to trace bands but the site has been down off and on

NC BIRD LEG BAND DIRECTORY -
National Center of Bird Leg Bands Directory - same idea as NLBR and is currently up

YH GROUP LEG BAND NUMBERS -
LegBandNumbers : Leg Band Numbers - may help trace leg bands

L & M BIRD LEG BANDS -
L_M_Bird Leg Bands Products Catalogue - producer of leg bands, if it's one of their bands they might trace it

RED BIRD PRODUCTS -
Red Bird Products - same as L&M Bird Leg Bands

THE ABC's OF LEG BANDS -
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds - how to read a leg band

INTERPRETING BIRD BANDS -
Interpreting Bird Bands - name says it all

PARROTS CANADA; LEG BANDS -
Choosing Your Bird - more info on leg bands

I can not take credit for this, I copied it from a previous post and just hung on to the info for future use if needed, I think Monica posted it originally.

The difference between parrots and kids is that it's cute when a parrot talks back.

www.macawsandmore.com

Post #208535
Posted 3/21/2009 7:24:10 PM

Fully Fledged

amea gari~ You've got a point there, I guess it would get quite expensive to import. Maybe it was the petstore that did it. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Petsmart doesn't sell tiels here in Nevada, funny how they are different in each state. The average around here is $65 to $100 for common grey's, Morghan was the same price as the common greys that were caged with her and I paid a bit more than $100 for her. I'm curious to see if the petstore put the band on her, hopefully they can pull a record or something. Thanks for the help

Zimbasmom~ thanks for the info on all those sites, I'm going to go through them a little later tonight.

Jennifer

Post #208541
Posted 3/22/2009 12:11:50 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:54:31 PM
Import bands are round (not flat), silver/grey and have that open slit in them. However, not all round silver open bands are import bands (I've seen a few breeder birds with those type of leg bands)

If your bird was imported, then she'd have to be at least 17 years old. If wild caught, she'd be grey. Although it's possible she's breeder bred and imported, considering how cheap they are it's kind of ridiculous to import such a cheap bird because it would take hundreds, if not thousands, to import a bird into the United States, including a 30+ day quarantine which can be quite expensive, as well as all the veterinary tests that need to be done at least twice to ensure the bird is healthy. The money ads up quickly. If it's not law to put a legband on a bird, [which it is in some states] then it's really up to the breeders choice whether or not to put a legband on a bird, and the type, color, material, etc is all up to the breeder.

I was just thinking about it... I live in Nevada as well, and the Petsmarts here don't sell anything larger than budgies! But the Petcos sell cockatiels and some small/medium conures... PetSupermarket may occasionally sell some larger birds, which usually includes indian ringnecks, white eyed conures, and cherry head... haven't seen anything larger than that.... and the local bird store has several places where he gets his birds from. If you are lucky though, you might be able to find out where the store gets their birds from. I asked one of the stores here, as I was curious about a few conures I saw with what looked like breeder bands, but the woman there assured me they were captive bred and were rather young. She couldn't find the papers on them, but gave me the info to get a hold of the breeders they use (I only found contact info for one... never did contact them but both breeders are located in California).

Post #208550
Posted 3/22/2009 12:54:34 AM

Fully Fledged

Thanks for the info Monica Her band is a flat band with an open slit, so that definately rules out importation. Must be the band was put on sometime after she was a wee little one. Could be the store did it to keep track. I'm going to call them tomorrow. It's the same here with Petco, nothing larger than a tiel for the most part. I have seen a conure there once, but not since. I don't go there that often so it may be that they just don't have them in when I'm there. The local petstore called PetPros claims they breed their own and they have everything from finches to Macaws.

Jennifer

Post #208552
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:17am