Buying a Budgie from Petsmart
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bringing Home a New Bird » Buying a Budgie from Petsmart Join the Club

12»»

Buying a Budgie from Petsmart Expand / Collapse
Author
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/23/2013 5:43:18 AM
I recently got my first Cockatiel and am looking into getting another bird, a Budgie, (in the far future by the way, I'm just planning ahead). However, where I live, we don't have any specialty bird stores like in many other areas of the state/country. My best option is a small pet store or a place like Petco or Petsmart.

I've heard a lot of bad things about buying from a place like Petsmart/Petco (though nothing specific, just that they're evil). What I'm looking for is some personal experiences that you may have had with buying a small bird from a large retailer. I am interested in getting a pied/harlequin and I see them at my local Petsmart all the time. They appear to be healthy and well taken care of although I think there are way too many of the "normal" budgies in a single cage. The ones I look at are "rare" and kept in a separate cage.

Any successes or horror stories buying from Petsmart? (I wont be getting one for a while and know how to quarantine and introduce them).

Canyon, Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel

Post #202764
Posted 2/1/2009 8:02:07 AM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 6/19/2009 6:52:32 PM
I would advise against buying a parakeet from Petsmart. Petsmart's and Petco's parakeets often come from bad dealers, who sell in gigantic masses, and alot of them carry serious diseases. A breeder I know told me how one of her friends flock all got sick after bringing in a parakeet from Petco(or Petsmart, can't remember). I've also seen sick birds in there alot. Several times while looking at the parakeets I've noticed huddled up sick budgies, some with discharge on their ceres, and all kinds of horrors. Its also a fact that Petco/Petsmart consider their budgies stock, and do NOT spend their money on vets for the cheap budgies, and put them down rather than take care of them properly.

Actually, I might be compelled to buy a parakeet from one of these places, to save them from these places, but you may not because you don't want to put your cockatiel at risk. (I don't have a parrot at the moment, I'm waiting for the right time to get one)
Post #202769
Posted 2/1/2009 9:16:20 AM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 4/23/2013 5:43:18 AM
Do you have any recommendations on where to look. I haven't had much luck locating a breeder in my area and there are only a few local pet stores that have Budgies and I don't really trust them. I've heard having a bird shipped is very risky, and even then I've only found a few sites that do that.

Canyon, Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Post #202777
Posted 2/1/2009 11:04:09 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
K&T Dad... I would try a rescue if there is one near you, or a local "mom & Pop" store. That is the much safer route, as already mentioned these chain stores get there budgies from bad breeders, and there are way to many budgies housed together, etc..

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #202790
Posted 2/1/2009 5:18:24 PM

Good Psittacine

Good PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood Psittacine

Last Login: 3/3/2014 11:46:52 AM
 Petco refers to their birds as "stock" and "wholesale". Living creatures treated as vegetables! And I have found that not only do their birds often carry disease, but they catch bad habits from over-crowding. A friend of mine bought a zebra finch from them to breed with a female I had sold her. Fortunately he has been free of infectious disease for the past month. But he would pick my female. I'm almost sure this was learned or caused by over-crowding in breeding facilities. A well run aviary shouldn't create behavioural issues.

And it's also very rare to find tame budgies at chain stores.

Post #202827
Posted 2/2/2009 5:36:53 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/7/2014 11:59:22 PM
I feel your pain.  I wish where I was there was a bird store around.  Unfortunately many are well over 1 hour away.  Some are worth the trip though.

I would also try a rescue.  I know that the MSPCA always have a bunch of them awaiting adoption.

Post #202861
Posted 2/3/2009 3:44:11 PM
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Last Login: 6/19/2009 6:52:32 PM
Google your local area for bird/animal shelters. I'm sure you'll find something nearby. In my area, there are three or four within 45 minutes to an hour.
Post #203132
Posted 11/28/2011 9:04:41 AM

Good Psittacine

Good PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood Psittacine

Last Login: 4/15/2014 5:29:32 PM
I got all 4 of my parakeeties from petsmart. My 3rd one (Bellatrixie) got my other two sick. But now all of them are happy and healthy!

~Forever a WeasleyLover~

MadalynC.com

Post #241346
Posted 11/28/2011 4:07:58 PM

Fully Fledged

Last Login: 1/22/2012 4:28:57 AM
I have gotten 4 parakeets from Petsmart and 2 died within a couple of months...the other 2 seem to be doing fine.  My mom got a young jenday conure from them and it is fine and healthy.  Their keets are cheap but the others like cockatiels and conures are like triple the price they normally should be.  I wouldnt advise buying their birds at all - its a crap shoot for lower price birds and way overpriced on the rest.  
Post #241351
Posted 12/19/2011 6:37:26 PM

Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:17:11 PM
I got Cinny from Petsmart I believe, he was on sale and when he saw my husband he followed his every move. He was healthy, but then again he cost a lot more than a budgie. He wasn't very hand tame at the time, but with time he became tame.

Words that Cinnamon can say: Goodnight, I love you, Cinnamon, HAHAHAHAHA, NO, Come here, what is that?, I'm gonna get you!, Hello!
Post #241919
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:56am