Quaker parrot is illegal in some states.
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bringing Home a New Bird » Before You Choose a Bird » Quaker parrot is illegal in some states. Join the Club

Quaker parrot is illegal in some states. Expand / Collapse
Author

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/25/2009 4:25:30 PM
I was looking through either January or February's Bird Talk magazine and saw a little article on a member of a bird club in Tennessee that had to tell new members that they have to get rid of their quakers.  I was surprised about this.  I found the following information about this.

http://www.quakerparrots.com/general/why-quaker-parrot-laws/

How do you feel about this?

Nicole 
(Tucker's Mom)
The Goodenough Gang:
Tucker (Congo African Grey)
Golden Retrievers (Madisen, Daisy, Zachary)
Mix breed dog (Lil' Man)
Cats (Nicholas, Nike, Rebock)

Post #200009
Posted 1/10/2009 1:47:53 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/25/2009 4:25:30 PM
This was off BC

I own a quaker parrot and am moving to a state in which these birds are illegal. Does that mean I can’t bring my bird with me?

If you bring your parrot with you to live in a state where quaker parrots have been banned and you are caught with it, “the authorities could possibly euthanize it, they could fine you, or they could do both,” said Brosell. Exactly what the authorities would do depends on the laws of the state, but at the very least, your bird will be confiscated, Brosell said.

Quaker parrots are illegal to own or to sell in California, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Hawaii, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wyoming. In Connecticut, quakers are legal to own, but you can’t sell or breed them. New York and Virginia residents are allowed to own quakers, but they must register with the state.  

The reason so many states prohibit people from owning quakers is because “the birds have been deemed as agricultural pests and those states don’t want pet quakers coming into their borders, possibly getting loose, banding together and threatening the native species in the local environments,” Brosell explained.

What if you’re moving across country with a quaker parrot to a state that allows the birds, but you’ve got to pass through some states along the way that prohibit quakers? “Some states may allow an ‘outlawed parrot’ to be transported through the state as long as it remains in transit and is out of the state with in a short time frame — something like 48 hours. Other states prohibit any entrance of the parrots they feel can create a nuisance and travelers must circumnavigate the state if they are traveling with the suspect parrots,” Brosell said.

Research ahead of time what states are and aren’t “safe” to pass through with your quaker (contact the state veterinarian for each state on your planned route to find out what their policies are regarding quaker parrots), so that you will know if you need to make a detour to another state along the way. To locate a particular state veterinarian office, call 1-800-545-USDA and press option “2,” or visit the USDA Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov, and click on the appropriate state.

Nicole 
(Tucker's Mom)
The Goodenough Gang:
Tucker (Congo African Grey)
Golden Retrievers (Madisen, Daisy, Zachary)
Mix breed dog (Lil' Man)
Cats (Nicholas, Nike, Rebock)

Post #200021
Posted 1/10/2009 8:46:49 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 11/19/2011 5:41:00 PM
I know, it's so stupid that quakers are illegal in some states! They're considered a pest though, because of how many live wild in those states. Quakers are one of the only parrots that build HUGE nests out of twings/branches/etc, and they seem to like building them on power lines, which makes it problematic. That's why they're banned.

I think that nanday conures are illegal in some states too, but I could be wrong.

Minnesota Companion Bird Association (MCBA, the biggest bird club in Minnesota): www.mnbird.org 

Post #200068
Posted 1/10/2009 9:09:07 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:17:44 PM
The funny thing is, is that quakers don't steal other birds nesting sites. They eat foods that are not native to the area, and they even share along with the local wildlife. On top of that, quakers and their nests cause less damage to power lines than squirrels, birds of prey, and natural disasters. Besides, if 20 nests would be destroyed, about 18 of them (or a tad less) would be rebuilt within 6 months. All attempts at trying to persuade quakers from nesting on power poles actually benefits them instead!

I can actually understand from an agricultural point of view, but not necessarily from an invasive species point of view where they displace other species. (although I understand the reasoning behind it)

Post #200073
Posted 1/11/2009 5:37:14 AM
Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/31/2009 8:58:56 AM
I think the main reason why they are considered an agricultural pest in some states in USA is because they are considered that in the countries where they come from and, in truth, with good reason because they do congregate into huge flocks and they do a lot of damage to the crops but, there are quakers all over the place, even in states where they are illegal.   I live in Pa and they are not allowed here but I know of several people who have one and two of them are avian vets

Bea & Birds

beatriz@newyorkbirds.net
Post #200095
Posted 1/14/2009 10:13:21 AM

Big Talker

Big TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig TalkerBig Talker

Last Login: 4/8/2011 7:49:14 PM
I live in Tennessee, and I remember reading that little article in the magazine. What is really funny is that I knew Quakers were illegal, but I had no idea that Nanday conures were as well! When I got to thinking about it, I realized that I have never seen Nandays for sale anywhere.

I have known two individuals who have owned Quakers that had to relocate to Tennessee and had to give up their beloved bird to do so. One lady had her Quaker for 15 years and when she told the story to me she teared up. Her husband took a job here and they had no idea until they got here that they could not have the bird. (This was one of those weird instances where you don't expect to find yourself talking about birds. I was at work at the time and this lady came into my office and saw my framed pictures of my birds that hung behind my desk and told me about hers.)

Tennessee is not really known for its sensible laws or for making sure the general populace knows about them. I keep reptiles as well, and ended up having to sell off all my breedable cornsnakes, kingsnakes, and milksnakes because you have to buy a permit to breed them here (even if they are not native). The permit costs $450!! This is why reptile shows never come to our state and there are hardly any reptile people here. I did not know about the law, but a friend told me about it- he had found out the hard way. Someone had called TWRA about his animals and when they got there and he did not have the permit they confiscated everyone of his animals. This is not publicly known, and the pet stores don't tell you about it here. They have their permit and could care less if the public knows that they should also get one if they are buying from an individual or out of state.

Visit my birds or buy my bird jewelry at http://www.featheredelves.webs.com
Post #200455
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:58am