How much should I feed my cockatiel a day?
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Nutrition Forum » How much should I feed my cockatiel a day? Join the Club

How much should I feed my cockatiel a day? Expand / Collapse
Author

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/17/2008 6:57:43 AM
How much should I feed my 'tiel a day? And do I feed him in the mornings, then evenings?

~Digitsez
Post #179628
Posted 9/15/2008 5:41:51 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: 4/17/2014 6:02:35 AM
Digitsez (9/14/2008)
How much should I feed my 'tiel a day? And do I feed him in the mornings, then evenings?

Unless your Tiel is overweight, I'd recommend you always have food available for him in his cage.
How old is your Tiel and what are you feeding him now?
His diet should include a healthy seed mix, pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, and healthy (for birds) foods you prepare for yourself.
I find The Healthy Bird Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793805384/qid=1146067038/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-4755932-7333511?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) to be a great reference about foods to feed our companion birds.
Good luck in providing a healthy and enjoyable diet for your Tiel.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #179643
Posted 9/15/2008 6:50:51 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
The book PP recommended is great! and nice to have on hand.
You will find some that differ in their feeding routines. We also have food always available.
Bfst. is a mix of 3 different kinds of pellets, some that require seed get a little seed and micro pellets.
Snack; fruits, veggies, greens, nutraberries etc.
Dinner; Homemade mush or microwave meal; all made with fresh veggies, fruits, grains, pasta, beans etc. and seasoned with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cayenne (hard to believe that they love hot peppers) We offer a large variety and mix things up.
Very spoiled & healthy fids!
K&T Mom

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #179674
Posted 9/15/2008 9:32:48 AM

Feather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 8:20:40 AM
I usually recommend to feed 15-20% (no more than 25%) of the birds bodyweight in dry food (seeds, or pellets...) each day. Basically, enough food for them to eat in one day, given to them either in the morning or later in the day (depending on what else you feed). Then, to feed as much fresh/cooked food (cooked eggs/grains/legumes, fresh/frozen/steamed veggies, and a small amount of fruits, with sprouted seeds, etc) as the bird will eat. The more fresh foods they eat the less dry foods they may actually consume.

If I feed my birds fresh food in the morning, they usually have that for 2 hours (no more than 4 hours), then I take it out and give them dry food. If I give them dry food in the morning, then I'll switch that out in the evening for fresh food.

Post #179681
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:26am