Bird cage litter
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Housing and Toys » Cleaning & Saftey Tips » Bird cage litter Join the Club

Bird cage litter Expand / Collapse
Author
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/25/2008 8:06:32 PM
Does anyone know if it is OK to put down newspaper and then sprinkle timothy hay or Alfalfa down on top of it? I mentioned I did this and the person I spoke with went silent . You would have thought I said I put a nest of fire ants in the bottom tray. I am not using cedar or any man made products ( sans the newspaper) Any thoughts?

Post Attachments 
Photo 43.jpg (225 views, 44.42 KB)
Post #163810
Posted 5/1/2008 8:11:43 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:42:01 AM
I've heard of one person using hay or something similar at the bottom of the cages... personally, I don't care for it... because you can't keep an eye on the birds droppings.

Post #163811
Posted 5/2/2008 12:32:12 AM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
Hello, and ditto to the above about the poop. We first started out with the corn cob litter but besides getting costly vs newspaper it also harbors more bacteria. Another thing to note is we use alfalfa cubes for them to chew and forage with and if our fids saw this on the bottom of their cage they would want to get at it and the nasty stuff that came with it.(meaning dropped food and again poop!) Any particular reason why you want to use this? Kito our Sennie drops so much food..so I will put a paper plate under where he eats to catch his large mountains of dropped food, its easier to just take out to be clean and replace and you can also check out the poop. Those are just our reasons.
Have a good day!
Mom of our flock

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #163814
Posted 5/2/2008 2:57:34 AM
Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

When I had the paper on the very bottom tray and had the seeds/poop drop down I noticed every now and then that the girls would go to the bottom of their cages and put their little legs down through the grates like they were those crane machines that you see at the arcades trying to get something that caught their fancy. With the timothy hay or alfalfa the seeds drop out of sight, it keeps them pretty much in the cage, smells clean and I change it once to twice a week. Leftover seeds are clean enough to go out to the wild birds outside. If this does have a chance of harboring bacteria I will stop. The girls don't show any interest in the hay. They would rather shred paper.
Post #163815
Posted 5/2/2008 4:24:08 AM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:42:08 AM
-Nanne, welcome to the message board and forums.
If you want the benefits and safety of using newspaper, but want to “hide” some of the dropped items, have you considered putting a sheet of newspaper down and then covering it with shredded (not crosscut) newspaper? This may solve your problem.
Remember that reaching for items that are outside of the cage is a common Cockatoo behavior, so your fids (feathered kids) are doing what many other Toos have been observed doing. This is one of the reasons they’re well known for being great escape artists from their cages, they manipulate what’s outside of their cages.
I look forward to learning more about your fids.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #163817
Posted 5/2/2008 6:36:48 AM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 9/27/2013 5:59:33 AM
Hi Nanne, sounds like normal Too behavior. I use newspaper on the bottom . And to solve the shredding issue I hang the old phone books off the side of the cage (the thin ones weave thru the bars easier)  and she shredds them .  Also my lovies can destroy a phone book.  If it works for you, you will find yourself asking everyone you know for their old phone books  I would find any other material in a cage other than newspaper or papertowels a problem to keep bacteria free.  Good luck and glad you came to the Bird Channel.

Max-Max Pionus, Echo-GCC, Sky&Sea-Keets, Lil'Ham-Fischer Lovie,Pat&Mike-Peachface Lovies

Post #163824
Posted 5/2/2008 6:37:41 PM
Just Hatched

Thanks to all for the impute. It never dawned me to shred my own paper and I own a paper shredder. Since I was using Kaytee timothy hay I will contact their web sight kaytee.com and hope to see that I did no do any damage.
Post #163873
Posted 1/3/2010 8:50:56 AM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 3/17/2012 6:04:20 PM
I realize this is a old post, but Id still like the topic discussed further. on my cage the bottom of the cage has a 4 inch space between that the bottom tray- no way for the birds to get to it at all, and very simple for me to clean it cleans out with my vacuum hose that my tiels are very accustomed to- I love this cage because of that feature. it's not a pull out tray, it's a solid bottom. the top is solid too, but it pulls off so I can place or remove toys. this was a $600.00 cage, but I bought it unused from my neighbor for $300.00 when her husband got hurt at work and she couldn't pay for it. she wanted it for her cockatoo, but she had to sell him too. I will never get rid of this cage unless it gets too rusty and harmful for my birds, If you can find one with that dropped bottom- I'd reccomend you buy it.  I've seen this one with the play gym on top too. both my camera's are broken so I can't get pictures for you, at this time. sorry tiel lover.
Post #220997
Posted 1/3/2010 11:35:04 AM
Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
Other than the inability to check on the poop, I think the timothy is fine. It does smell fresh and helps to get rid of bad odors in a safe and natural way. since the first morning poop is the most important one to watch, perhaps if you lay down the hay after that each day?
Post #221000
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:15am