Genders of parrotlets!
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Species and Mutations » Parrotlets » Genders of parrotlets! Join the Club

Genders of parrotlets! Expand / Collapse
Author

Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/30/2008 11:22:36 AM
I am think of buying another Parrotlet, COZMO died of loneliness. We are going to buy a pacific (blue) one at the pet store, then in a few months our neighbors are breeding theirs and we will buy one. I want to buy a male or female at the store then get the opposite gender from are neighbors. Can you tell me how to tell the gender?

GIZMO~male senegal~PIXIE~male budgie~BLUSH~female budgie

Post #160561
Posted 3/26/2008 4:50:24 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
K&T Dad.. The normal colored P.Parrotlets are green with the male having some blue on it's wings and a blue stripe across the eye & to the back of the head. On some of the male blue mutations this blue stripe is much darker than the blue on the rest of the body. If you have the Feb addition of birdtalk on the cover is a perfect photo of this. On some blues however it is hard to tell this and dna sexing may be the only way to determine the sex.

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #160567
Posted 3/26/2008 5:25:18 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:28:14 PM
Generally speaking birds do not "die of loneliness". Usually there is some underlying cause, such as an illness. If a bird dies it's best to have a necropsy done to see why the bird passed on. Now, as far as sexing, hopefully these sites will help!

http://www.littletweet.com/parrotlets_green.html
http://www.littletweet.com/parrotlets_blue.html

If your going to get opposite genders of parrotlets, then you should ensure that they are all the same species of parrotlet.

Post #160575
Posted 3/28/2008 5:29:18 PM

Fledgling

It was with a bunch of other parrotlets and we only bought one so it was lonely and it starved itself.

Post #160739
Posted 3/28/2008 5:36:19 PM

Feather Fanatic

How long did you have that one parrotlet? You could have brought the bird home sick, instead... if that were the case then you would need to ensure that everything you have for birds is cleaned, as well as ur house.

Post #160740
Posted 3/28/2008 7:45:26 PM

Good Psittacine

Good PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood PsittacineGood Psittacine

Last Login: 3/3/2014 11:46:52 AM
Pacific Parrotlets are easily determined because they are sexually dimorphic. The blue stripe coming from a males eyes is easily seen (The Napoleon Complex in my sig. is a perfect example) even on blue males. The under-wings are also a glorious blue colour. Be sure what you're getting into though. Parrotlets aren't to be taken lightly, they may be small but they hold they distinguished personalities of their larger cousins, the amazons. Honestly I think parrotlets should be classed in the subfamily of amazons. Be sure to quarantine them before introducing them to eachother. It is essential to get them checked out by an avian vet (ask your vet if they take in many birds, rather than if they care for birds) in this important time. If the young bird is sick it can pass on deadly viruses and diseases, or die.

Post #160752
Posted 3/29/2008 12:47:32 PM

Fledgling

We had it for a month or two tried it with the food it had and a couple of others but it would not eat.

Post #160791
Posted 3/29/2008 4:58:09 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
K&T Dad.. Your first P.Parrotlet most definitely came home with something you were not aware of! I have not known one of these guys to refuse food for anything. I hope you don't and should not blame yourself. Things happen & hope you will not purchase from any of the places or place you did before. Great luck on your future plans!

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #160806
Posted 3/29/2008 5:07:03 PM

Feather Fanatic

My guess is that the bird was probably sick... if the bird refused to eat straight off then he/she would not have survived a week. I'm sorry.

You really should ensure that your entire home is clean and have all bird items cleaned... if wooden or rope you may need to replace those items. Then, buy from a reputable place (if you bought from a chain petstore, I urge you to seek a bird store or breeder instead).

Post #160807
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:37am