cockatiel shaking
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Health Forum » Bird Health » cockatiel shaking Join the Club

12»»

cockatiel shaking Expand / Collapse
Author
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/4/2008 9:06:59 AM
Hi all,

I have 2 cockatiels. Neither appear to be ill. But my little piper boy seems to be shaking, he doesn't have any of the symptoms of being ill though. He is not staying at the bottom of his cage, he doesn't have discharge from his eyes or nasal passages, he is eating and drinking. He came out of his cage this am to play. I cant imagine he could be cold? Our house never drops below 70 degrees. and he is squawking away this am. Should I be worried or do they sometimes just shake?

I dont want to freak out over something I shouldn't/And he ate his breakfast this am of scrambled eggs....

Danielle

Post #154713
Posted 12/25/2007 11:05:56 AM
Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 3/27/2014 9:32:43 PM
There are a few more things you will need to look into to decide if you should get him to an emergency vet or just wait till you can get him into a regular vet check.
What are his droppings like?
Does he look like he is losing weight? If you do not weigh your birds, check his keel bone. it should be a sort of U shape and not a pronounced V or W. ( well the W in this case is rounded. It means there is a lot of upper body fat)
Is he also feather picked or picking?
Does his mate appear to be picking on him or him on her?
Could there be a draft blowing across his cage.
Are there new people or noises or other animals in the house right now that may be causing him to be more fearful or agitated?
And last, could you just be noticing his heart beat more than your other bird's?

Post #154714
Posted 12/25/2007 11:21:46 AM
Fledgling

Im not sure about his bone, I better research that. I dont even know where that is....these are my first birds. I have done alot of reading and research on line but havent heard that.

His droppings are normal, the mate isnt picking on him, he is actually the brat of the two. And he isnt feather picking either. He seems to be playing and shredding his shredder, Im just wondering if he is stoned? I gave them some hemp in their treat box yesterday, just a teaspoon, which is what the breeder told me. He said its ok every couple of days. I think maybe I will not give them any this next few days. He is still standing on his one foot at rest and he was just grinding his little beak which I read both are signs of healthy birds.

He was by our back door so I guess it could be a draft,

Do I take him to his vet?

Post #154716
Posted 12/25/2007 2:38:29 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 6:02:35 AM
danicuti, welcome to the message board and forums.
The concerns and suggestions ickybird gave are correct and very important to consider for your bird. When it comes to their health, I always prefer to be proactive (prevent the situation from worsening) and not wait till a problem develops strongly and hope that it’s not too late to be reactive (provide treatment or medication) to the situation.
Based on the fact that these are your first two birds, there may be a behavioral reason that you haven’t experienced explaining why Piper Boy is shaking. When a bird is very excited, often this occurs when they see you and want to come to you, they may hold their wings slightly away from their body and visibly shake. If you allow him to step-up and he immediately or quickly stops shaking, that may be what you are observing.
On the negative side, if Piper Boy is shaking when you approach his cage, he may be afraid of you and is shaking out of fear. You should be able to observe if this is the case. He may not be willing to step-up and may continue to shake for an extended time if he does step-up.
As far as feeding your Tiels hemp, I’m assuming you’re talking about feeding hemp seed (not other parts of the plant), which is found in several seed mixes for Finches, Budgies and Cockatiels. I’ve never seen hemp seed as a single product being available for feeding to our companion birds. I just checked in my favorite reference on safe foods for birds, The Healthy Bird Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793805384/qid=1146067038/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-4755932-7333511?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) and it doesn’t list hemp in its index. When you are the size of a Tiel a teaspoon of any food is a large serving.
do I take him to his vet?” – If you can’t eliminate a behavioral cause based on what I’ve described, you should schedule an examination by his avian vet as soon as possible. If you didn’t have a new bird examination, then that should be done any way. Also, did you move him away from the back door where they may have been a draft?
I know I’ve been a little vague in answering your question. The safest possible thing you can do is have your Tiel examined by an avian vet. At least that will confirm his health. The vet may tell you what you are observing is simply the behaviors ickybird or I described.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #154719
Posted 12/25/2007 5:17:51 PM
Fledgling

thank you for the advice I appreciate it.

I did move him away from the door and he has been fine today, I never thought of him trying to get our attention and being excited. Cause he does do a funny little piper dance where he makes his wings a little bigger and kinda walks big, if you know what I mean.

I will just schedule a visit with the vet to be safe but he seems to be fine.

And yes it was hemp seed, nothing else and I bought the seed at the breeder I bought them from so Im assuming its ok for them, other than the fact they told me its very fattening. So to not give much.

He was grooming and grooming his mate this afternoon and shredding his fav toy.

Post #154728
Posted 12/26/2007 8:32:25 AM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: Today @ 2:58:14 PM
Im not sure about his bone, I better research that. I dont even know where that is....these are my first birds. I have done alot of reading and research on line but havent heard that.

To compare a birds keel bone to a human body, a keel bone is like our sternum. The only difference is that birds done have rib cages like we do (in cunjunction to the sternum), and the sternum (which is more pronounced) of a bird goes from their upper chest to between their legs. (although it varies between species) A birds sternum (in short) is called the keel bone...

This looks like a fun little exercise!

http://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/comparing_avian_human.html

Im just wondering if he is stoned? I gave them some hemp in their treat box yesterday, just a teaspoon, which is what the breeder told me. He said its ok every couple of days. I think maybe I will not give them any this next few days. He is still standing on his one foot at rest and he was just grinding his little beak which I read both are signs of healthy birds.

I have been feeding one of my conures hemp seed with no ill side effects. I bought a 1lb bag from the local parrot store. This hemp seed SHOULD NOT be able to be grown as it's been sterilized. If you noticed the signs of shivering after giving the hemp, then it could be the hemp or something about it (freshness?). If you noticed these signs before the hemp then it's not the hemp that could be the issue.

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/hempseed.htm

Sterilized Hemp Seed

The word ‘sterilized’ conjures up some misconceptions. Legal hemp seeds are either heat sterilized or steam sterilized. This is to keep them from growing into new plants. Steamed seeds are actually superior in freshness. Contrary to popular belief, few if any seed companies use irradiation to treat their products.

To steam sterilize, seeds are not cooked to the point of killing bacteria. Instead, they are brought to a temperature of 160°F for 5 minutes and then cooled. This is hot enough to alter some of the enzymes necessary for photosynthesis. If the seeds were cooked any further, the seed coats would break, allowing the reactive oils to go rancid quickly. As it is, the shelf life of the cooked seeds is compromised. The heat opens micro fissures in the hull that allow oxygen to penetrate into the delicate kernels. Live seeds can sprout after being kept in a drawer for five years, but cooked seeds can go rancid in a few months, especially if not refrigerated.

Robert Stroud, the ‘Birdman of Alcatraz’, became an expert on birds and wrote about them in 1939. The book, Diseases of Birds, still stands as an authority. Stroud mentioned how nutritious hemp seeds were, but expressed frustration with the ‘sterilized’ seeds that were coming on the market as a result of the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act. He called them “rancid trash”.

Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Post #154736
Posted 12/29/2007 8:18:12 AM
Fledgling

Hi Monica,

wow, thanks for the picture, that is great, I wanted to post and then Im going to go back and study that. You have many tiels, Im going to have to post pics of my babies so you can see them.

The hemp is sterilized of course and the breeder we got them from also has his store where he sells all the food and does grooming etc., they explained the whole deal on the hemp, but I still of course was worried. Piper has been fine, just to update you all, he is back to his normal self, Im thinking it was just a draft or me noticing his heart beat. He was singing and doing his normal talking later that evening.

You know I also thought of something else, I had just taken them to their first grooming since we bought them and they did his wings and his nails, Im wondering if his change in attitude could be attributed to that. Cessna hasnt seemed to be any different, but piper seems not as sure of himself. Of course he was able to grip things much better with his little dagger nails, and now they arent sharp so he seems to not jumo and play. Last night we had them out with us and they were so active and playing and jumping back and forth to me and my hubby. So all seems well with them. Also when do these guys molt???

Danielle

Post #154924
Posted 12/29/2007 9:27:24 AM

Feather Fanatic

A grooming will do that to a bird... most flighted parrots tend to be very dependant, so they will not have to depend on us humans.... however, there are some flighted parrots that never fly, and there are many flighted parrots who are still tame and will fly to their owners for scritches or otherwise. My Casey is one of them. Sunshine will also fly to me but that's for food... and Charlie flies to me cause he's too dependant and hates being alone.

I've clipped the wings of some birds and it felt too awkward for them so they would shiver their wings. With some birds, the clipping can really bother them and could possibly result in plucking. Usually though, once the bird gets accustomed to a clip job they go back to acting normal, although some may have less attitude and be more dependant.

I really need to update my signature... I have 6 tiels...

Post #154926
Posted 12/29/2007 1:53:52 PM
Fledgling

so are you against clipping them?? I didnt want to until they kept smacking into the wall. So I finally broke down and had to take them. And I have read it does tend to tame them more, I dont know, Im so confused, there is so much info out there.

I just love them so thou already! I want to do whats best so they can live long happy lives. Im sure being that you have 6 of these guys you must be a wealth of info. and I do appreciate your feedback greatly!

Danielle

Post #154928
Posted 12/29/2007 5:29:53 PM

Feather Fanatic

No, I didn't say that... birds who fly usually tend to be healthier, happier birds than ones who can't fly... but that's not to say that clipped birds are unhappy... quite the contrary... I guess think about it this way.... a dog would be happier if he had an acre of land to run on, instead of a 6' x 6' kennel... and having more space to move and run about in he is more likely to be healthier.

Many people clip for taming, or clip because they cannot allow their birds to be flighted. Currently, all of my birds are flighted... and only 2 cannot fly... one because she may have brain damage, and another because she well, clipped herself. I've actually noticed my birds to be calmer when I'm around when they are cage-free and flighted vs being caged.

I may have 6 cockatiels, and owned a total of 8 cockatiels altogether, there's still plenty out there for me to learn!

Regardless, I think you'd be interested in these videos down below.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg-G7eQ5iwY

Post #154934
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:28pm