Profile Picture

Easiest way to clean a bird's cage grate?

Posted By mamie1019 7 Years Ago
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Months Ago
I was wondering if anybody knew the easiest way to clean a bird's cage grate.  It takes me awhile to scrub the bird droppings off the grate.  I have tried using poop off.

ditty
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)Feather Fanatic (7,041 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I used poop off before and was not too impressed.  I am using EZ care cage cleaning as well as cage shield on the grate and it works excellent.  Mostly just spray and wipe off with a wet cloth.  It smells like oranges and does not smell bad like poop off also.

The shield is sprayed on after it is clean and it prevents most of the adhearence.  Then when you go to clean just spray cleaner on and wipe off with a wet cloth and rinse.  I have not had anything stick yet, even raspberries! 

I got mine at drs foster and smith but I am sure others sell it.

Good Luck!

Monica
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)Feather Fanatic (15,531 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Take it outside and use the house or a power washer to get off most of the grime....

Let it soak in hot water or wash off with just hot water before scrubbing

Use a steam cleaner

Use vinegar/water mixture

Use peroxide

There's a lot of techniques you can try... For small cages and cage parts I just stick it in the shower, use hot water only, and spray it down. Then I scrub clean with dish soap and hot water and rinse again.

For larger cages I take them outside, hose them down best I can, then scrub with hot water and dish soap... then rinse again.

MFids
:pearl: Casey :bourkes1: Bourke :tieln: Pistachio :tiel3: Tomi Girl :mc1: Charlie :tielf: Faye :rthrtc: Jayde
:irngf: Sylphie (Foster)

mamie1019
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)Fully Fledged (426 reputation)

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them

macawlover2
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)Feather Fanatic (4,189 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I don't use grates for my birds' cages. I take them out, because I think they're more a hassle than a help. But, before I took them out, I would soak them in warm water for about 15 minutes, then scrub them off.

Minnesota Companion Bird Association (MCBA, the biggest bird club in Minnesota): www.mnbird.org 

Pepper's Pa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)Feather Fanatic (14,277 reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
I used to use Poop-Off, but have switched over to using Kaytee EZ Care Quick Clean and Cage Shield. These are the same products that used to be offered by Canopy Scientific.

The key to easy cleaning of a grate is to clean it often and don’t let piles build up on it. After a spray with Quick Clean and a five minute wait, most things wipe right off the grate. Sometimes I need a scrub pad for dried on food. Some foods, such as dried on sweet potato, require a knife to scrape them off.

Good luck. [Smile]

[Smile] [Smile] http://www.senegalparrot.net [Smile] [Smile]

ladyhawke50
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Feather Fanatic

Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)Feather Fanatic (9,380 reputation)

I use vinegar and water with a plastic scraper.  Grates can be a task that is bothersome. I scrape them off each day and weekly scrub down with vinegar and water. 

Max-Max Pionus, Echo-GCC, Sky&Sea-Keets, Lil'Ham-Fischer Lovie,Pat&Mike-Peachface Lovies

_Bird_Lover_
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Good Psittacine

Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)Good Psittacine (743 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
My secret is a scrub brush with bristles.  I use it to get the big chunks off of the grate.  Then I get a bucket of dishsoap and warm water and use a sponge to get the remaining white stains off.  For me it works really well, but if you don't do if often enough (I do it every other day) poop accumulates and it takes longer to clean. [Smile]

MtStar
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Good Psittacine

Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)Good Psittacine (559 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have the Kaytee EZ cleaning kit, it doesn't actually have any sprays or anything like that, but it does have a scrub brush and a cleaning thing for grates!

However, I don't recommend it!!!! I spent $30.00 on it and all I wanted was the grate brush, it didn't work. All I use now are all natural, unscented baby wipes. I do it about twice a week though, so I don't normally have a problem with a caked on mess. It's easy for me though because I think the bar spacing is 3/4" so I can fit my finger around the bars and scrub up and down once and everything comes off. Takes about five minutes but I don't even have to take the grate out.

I would take the grate of my cage, but I know Gus Gus would just make a big mess of things and this way when his foot toys fall, they don't get as messy and I don't have to always be cleaning his foot toys. Odin's cage doesn't have a grate and it's driving me crazy!

ilovehamham2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fully Fledged

Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)Fully Fledged (133 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
All I do with my grates in put them in the shower in hot water on full blast. It takes most of it off and them I can wipe the rest off.