crooked beak
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Health Forum » Special Needs Birds » crooked beak Join the Club

crooked beak Expand / Collapse
Author

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/24/2011 2:40:22 PM
Does anybody know what causes crooked beaks or if the can be fixed? I will post a pic when i figure out my camera.

Post #152537
Posted 11/10/2007 5:43:56 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 4:13:10 AM
brilliantfids (11/10/2007)
Does anybody know what causes crooked beaks or if the can be fixed? I will post a pic when i figure out my camera.

It could be caused from a past injury, a nutritional problem, or heredity. Depending on the actual amount of curve to the beak an avian vet maybe able to grind it and overtime the beak will grow back to being straight and balanced.
Here's an article on crooked beaks: http://www.avianweb.com/scissorsbeak.html
When you post some images that will give us a better idea of the actual condition of your bird.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #152545
Posted 11/10/2007 8:36:48 PM

Feather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:54:31 PM
It could also be caused by incorrect handfeeding techniques...

My own Charlie has scissor beak due to a beak injury... and the only way to fix the beak is to get him a prosthetic beak... however, my avian vet doesn't believe it's a good idea due to the fact that the prosthetic would eventually fall off, not solving anything.

I've met a B&G hybrid (supposedly a miligold) that seemed to have a beak injury possibly from when she was a chick? I don't really know, but she's got a little indent on one side of her face, and her upper beak grows crooked. It actually looks as if another bird had bitten her face causing the malformation... and may have also caused respiratory issues.

I've seen pictures of adults with crooked beaks as well, and although they may have been corrected to a degree, usually it can't be repaired due to the severity of the curve.... Thus, I assume that crooked beaks in this case may be caused by bad handfeeding techniques.

Birds adapt quite well however, to deformities...  Charlie's 13 years old now, and has had his beak injury for almost a year now. He does quite well eating and biting! Thankfully, he can't draw blood, and his bites probably don't hurt as BAD as they could, but still, he can bite pretty darn hard!

So, who is the one with a beak deformity?

Post #152557
Posted 11/12/2007 1:42:23 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 11/19/2011 5:41:00 PM
Cheyenne has a mild case of scissor beak, and I just keep it filed down by giving her hard nuts. But when it grows back, I bring her in to get it trimmed. Other than that, nuts work very well! I give her a bout two nuts a day, at least one is a brazil nut, which is hard enough to file her beak down a bit.

Minnesota Companion Bird Association (MCBA, the biggest bird club in Minnesota): www.mnbird.org 

Post #152740
Posted 1/28/2008 7:15:59 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 9/9/2008 10:03:11 AM
Sand Perches and pedi perches are also helpful in keeping a healthy beak, healthy. Even chewing hard woods and soft woods help in keeping the bird's beak healthy.

Post #156572
Posted 1/29/2008 4:17:12 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 1/13/2013 3:20:34 PM
kitoandtupis dad,

As you know we also posted a very similar post with our GCC. After research as already mentioned believe this is from improper hand feeding. Ours is not too bad and we will be taking him to the vets soon. We will surely post the outcome after this happens. It is an interesting subject and I didn't even notice this(mis-aligned beak) till I held him on his back.

See our Flock! www.buffaloparrot.com
Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums

1. Senegal Parrot(Kito) 1. Pacific Parrotlet(Tupi)

5. Peach Faced Lovebirds(Tarzan & Jane, BP, Chance & Baby)

2. Cockatiels(Miah)RIP & (Squiggy) 1. Green Cheeked Conure(Chico)

1. Lineolated Parakeet(Chile) 1. Bourke's Parakeet(Aussie)

1. Black Capped Conure(Julio) 1. Budgerigar(Anni)

2. Indian Ring Necked Parakeets(Taj & Mahal)

1. Scarlet Chested Parakeet(Sydney)

Post #156625
Posted 1/29/2008 8:07:45 PM

Feather Fanatic

Oh this is an old post from when I first noticed it on Carter, he has been getting corrective trims and all is going well. He however is an import bird so as far as I know was not hand feed. But your right that can cause it!

Post #156638
Posted 2/16/2008 9:49:09 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 9/9/2008 10:03:11 AM
Everything still going well with his beak?

Post #157903
Posted 2/16/2008 11:47:45 PM

Feather Fanatic

his beak is still very crooked but you can tell it is geting better...s-l-o-w-l-y! He is so handsome as it is, I hope I will one day see him with a straight or almost straight beak!

Post #157905
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:17am