Can a Finch be Tamed?
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Behavior » Bird Training » Can a Finch be Tamed? Join the Club

Can a Finch be Tamed? Expand / Collapse
Author

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/6/2011 11:29:01 PM
I just feel so bad for him all alone in that cage, calling out to someone for company. I can't put another bird in there, because they might beat up on him because of his abnormal condition. I thought maybe I could be the company he needs, but he's a finch... and he's frightened of me. Is there any way I can tame my little love so that I can keep him company?

Please see the thread labeled "Spinner the Mentally Hendicapped Finch" to see Spinner's story.

My babies:
1 jenday (Lilith)
1 Gold-Capped Conure (Cody)
1 zebra finch (Malcom)
1 Star finch (Child)
3 cats (Belle, Simon, Sushi)
3 dogs (Scotty, Buddy, Roxy)
1 tortoise (Toby)
Post #151483
Posted 10/24/2007 8:14:12 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:54:31 PM
You might as well be asking if you can train a dog! Yes, it is possible but mostly unheard of, unless the finch has been socialized since it was a chick... but it is not impossible!

Your best bet is to sit next to the cage, with some seed or millet in your hand, and with your hand just inside the cage. Over time, the finch may learn to accept your hand and eat from it. From there, you can try progressing to having your hand outside of the cage with the treat so that the finch (if he has any direction) can fly out to you.

Post #151492
Posted 10/24/2007 8:50:44 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Last Login: 10/24/2011 2:40:22 PM
I have afriend who has tame canaries, none of wich she got as babies, so i also believe that you can do it! Good luck with spinner!

tiff

Post #151498
Posted 10/25/2007 2:43:53 AM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: Today @ 4:13:10 AM
Zebra Finches are a true community bird and thrive when placed with other members of their species. By keeping Spinner alone he is under a constant state of anxiety and stress. He needs other zebra finches around him, even if they were in a cage adjacent to his. Your interactions and companionship will never replace his need for other Zebra Finches.
There are varying levels of tameness you can achieve with finches. I had a pair of Star Finches that I purchased as adults. After two years the male would come to me and often perch on my hand when it was in his cage. The female never was that comfortable getting close and always stayed farther away . . . usually plastered against the cage bars as far as she could possibly get from me or my hand.
Good luck with Spinner.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #151514
Posted 10/25/2007 10:51:49 AM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Well in that case I might just buy another finch, or maybe even a pair, and keep them in a cage next to his. He'll be fine if they're in another cage, right? I'm just so worried that he might be sad right now. He's calling for his flock.

My babies:
1 jenday (Lilith)
1 zebra finch (Malcom)
1 Star finch (Child)
1 tortoise (Toby)
Post #151535
Posted 10/25/2007 1:59:54 PM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: Today @ 4:13:10 AM
He'll be fine if they're in another cage, right?” – He may actually be fine if they’re all in the same cage. You’d have to carefully watch that he isn’t being intimidated, harassed or attacked in any way. If he were in a separate cage, adjacent to another cage with finches, at least he would be able to see and communicate with the other finches.
Good luck.

http://www.senegalparrot.net

Post #151559
Posted 10/26/2007 9:54:13 AM

Fully Fledged

Okay. Thank you very much. =}

My babies:
1 jenday (Lilith)
1 zebra finch (Malcom)
1 Star finch (Child)
1 tortoise (Toby)
Post #151605
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:17am