Breeding/Raising Sun Conures
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Bird Breeder Community » Business » Breeding/Raising Sun Conures Join the Club

12»»

Breeding/Raising Sun Conures Expand / Collapse
Author
Fledgling

FledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledglingFledgling

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/9/2007 2:30:21 AM
I have one sun conure and I am thinking about possibly fiding a future mate to start breeding. I was wondering if someone has had experience or can provide tips and pointers. I was also hesistant because I would not want my breeders to find so much more interest in their mates they become agressive towards me. I also wanted to hear from people who balance a regular job with being a breeder.
Post #146067
Posted 6/20/2007 3:21:16 PM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 4/21/2009 11:49:50 AM
if you want to keep your sun bonded to you, don't breed.

when you have a breeding pair bonded to each other, they are devoted for the remainder of their lifes and will be happy with their life long companion.

IMO, take care

karen

Jack and Karen
www.featheredbabies.com

Post #146076
Posted 6/20/2007 3:27:53 PM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 4/21/2009 11:49:50 AM
do you know how to handfeed, what to watch for in case the egg or chick is in trouble.

first before you decide, do some research on breeding, and what you need before you start.

if you know someone who can help you in order to get started, and teach you everything you need to know just in case you have a pair who are not good at sitting their eggs, or maybe feeding, it's always good to contact a local breeder that can take the time to teach you all the pros and cons.

things can go wrong, and that way you would be better prepared and someone to take you through the steps, one at a time.

karen

Jack and Karen
www.featheredbabies.com

Post #146077
Posted 7/14/2007 2:22:35 PM
Fledgling

Last Login: 11/9/2007 2:30:21 AM
I also wanted to ask a question no one has been able to answer. I purchased my sun conure right after he had his 2nd day of solid food without hand-feeding. I was sent pictures of his parents who look like typical sun conures but my bird (their baby) has green wings like a jenday. He is 4months old. Is he not a Sun conure?
Post #146933
Posted 7/14/2007 11:48:57 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:33:55 PM
Young suns and jendays look quite a bit alike. As they mature, both loose the green around their heads and stomachs.... however suns also loose a lot of green from their wings while the jendays keep the green.

Post #146954
Posted 7/18/2007 12:41:27 PM

Fledgling

Last Login: 5/18/2008 6:10:01 PM
All baby Sun Conures look similar to Jendays. My female Sun was about 2 1/2 when her color matured to look like a Sun. If you what to keep this bird as a pet DO NOT breed her. Once a bird is bonded to another they will devote all their time and love to the other bird. They will become territorial with each other and their cage. I have a bonded Sun and Green Cheek who breed. The Sun was adopted at 6 weeks and the Green Cheek is a rescue. The Sun was very loving and I could do anything with her. But once the two met it was love at first sight, to the exclusion of all others. Now they both guard each other, their cage, nesting box and eggs like little feathered Pit Bulls.
Also keep in mind that you have time to think about this and really do some research. Your Sun will not be old enough to breed for a few years. Breeding birds is not easy. It takes a lot of time. For example, if the parents will not care for the chicks then you are looking at hand-feeding that baby every 2-3 hours for about 10 weeks, longer if the chick is difficult to ween. I'm still hand-feeding my most recent chick and he is 15 weeks old.

Birdiegirl77

Buddy (Sun)
Jewel (GCC)
Ruby (Mitred Conure)
Kyanite (Indian Ringneck)
Batty Coda (Sun/GCC Hybrid)
Post #147107
Posted 11/16/2007 3:54:26 PM

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 3/16/2008 11:56:32 AM
Please don't take offense to this as I am new to breeding.  I was told that a green cheek conure and a sun conure could not mate and make viable eggs.........but obviously that person was wrong.  The reason for my concern is because I have a sun and green cheek that bonded last year.  I am real curious what the baby they produced looked like.  I would sure like to see a picture of one if at all possible.  Send me a PM. If you might send me a picture I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!

Life is too short for housework.....I'd rather play with the birds.
Post #152994
Posted 11/16/2007 10:36:01 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:33:55 PM
I only have a few pics that a member posted before....

I knew that a GC & Sun cross would be predominantly green since green colors (in the feather structures) rules over red, yellow, and orange colors. However, considering the various genes involved, there's a lot of possibilities between what the hybrid offspring will appear like... and this is obvious within the macaw hybrids.... there's a lot of variety between same hybrids as well as between individuals within a clutch.

I honestly would not recommend the hybridization between these two species.... mainly for the fact that they are not closely related... which causes issues with the offspring (a "gentler" form of this idea is seen in mules.... the majority of them are sterile). I don't really know the affects of this cross, but here's what someone else said on the matter....

I know a lady that has sun conure/green-cheeked conure hybrids. The vet told her it was impossible, but the eggs hatched. Unfortunately, the more genetically unrelated the species, the more unstable the hybrids are resulting in reduced lifespan and often mental retardation. Those sun/green-cheeks have a high rate of brain cancer! Many don't live to wean or die shortly after. That isn't an uncommon effect in hybrids.

Post #153044
Posted 11/17/2007 5:04:58 AM

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Last Login: 3/16/2008 11:56:32 AM
Thank you so much for the pictures and imformation.  We have no intention of breeding with these two.  We just didn't think it was even possible.  I do not believe in breeding hybrids for the same reasons you say.  Thank you again for the pictures!

Life is too short for housework.....I'd rather play with the birds.
Post #153055
Posted 11/19/2007 8:52:39 AM

Feather Fanatic

Last Login: 10/24/2011 2:40:22 PM
Just wanted to add a little on a bonded pair being pets. I have a couple pairs of lovebirds and they are bonded to eachother and i do breed them as well. They are also good pets when they are not nesting!! with the exception of one of the females, who was never handled previously to me getting her. But one pair are both very tame unless they are nesting and the male of the other pair is tame wether its breeding time or not! I also have 2 males that are bonded and they are somewhat tame and considering that they were not hand feed and re very bonded thats unusual!!! But i agree with everyone else, if you want the sun to remain a pet it is best not to set her up for breeding since each bird is different!! You never know she may still stay a pet but there is a higher probability that she wont!!!

tiff and fids

Post #153173
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:42am