Eclectus lifespan exceeding 40 years?
Bookmark and Share
Forum functionality is most compatible with Internet Explorer 5+
BirdChannel Forum
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Life With Birds » Bird Species and Mutations » Eclectus » Eclectus lifespan exceeding 40 years? Join the Club

Eclectus lifespan exceeding 40 years? Expand / Collapse
Author

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/12/2007 2:55:22 PM
I'm seeing so many different life expectancies about these birds. I've seeing "15-20", "15-30', "20-40," and so forth.

Does anyone here actually know of an Eclectus who has exceeding the 40 years bird channel says they life for? Like everyone else, I pretty much want my bird forever ;)

Post #140603
Posted 2/10/2007 10:23:47 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

Group: Peer Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:02:32 PM
It really depends in the health of the environment (i.e. fumes, smoke, harsh chemicals, etc that might be in the atmosphere of your home), as well as diet, exercise, and amount of light...

Obviously, a bird on a poor diet, small cage, thus no exercise is probably going to live a VERY short life compared to a bird who gets plenty of exercise, a good diet, and good light such as direct sunlight, or Full Spectrum lighting.

I don't know what the oldest eclectus is, however I'm sure that on a good diet, and in a good environment, they could probably thrive for 60 or more years. It's just that mainly due to bad diets, lack of exercise, and a bad environment, birds are expected to live less... Even at that note, I know someone who owned a canary who died short of his 20th birthday.

Post #140604
Posted 2/10/2007 11:02:02 PM

Just Hatched

Just HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust HatchedJust Hatched

The little spoiled boy has got a natural UV ray light, Zupreem (natural) pellets, fresh foods in the morning, I fly him on my hand as well as him playing often, and definitely no one smokes in my household.

I do have another question, though, I have an electric heater in my room. It is more like a fan, and I've heard that certain heaters are harmful to the birds. It's just a short little plastic deal, and it can blow air out as any other fan would.

My room gets quite cold sometimes from the age of the house, (he has a heated perch,) so before I go to bed I turn it on. Lately, I stopped, because I'm afraid it might be harming his lungs.

Post #140605
Posted 2/10/2007 11:47:20 PM

Feather Fanatic

Feather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather FanaticFeather Fanatic

If you notice any toe tapping or wing flipping, one of the first things you'd want to do is remove the pellets... generally speaking, not many eckie owners (that I have heard) have been able to have their eclectus on a diet that includes pellets.

As for the electric heater, what brand is it? Maybe if you could contact the manufacteror and ask if it has any PTFE or teflon in it. If not, then you should be safe.

In short though, birds can become acclimated to various temps... My birds are used to temps I'm sure low 50's at night if not a bit colder in the winter, and temps up to the high 80's during the day in the summer.

Post #140606
Posted 2/11/2007 10:08:37 AM

Just Hatched

The breeder had him on the colored zupreem to get him to eat them. Then it was my job to ween him off of it for the natural colored ones. He absolutely loves those things, and he was upset that I was switching him. On the bag, there's actually a picture of an eclectus.

Should I be only feeding him fresh foods? He seems to really like those pellets, but that doesn't always mean it's best.

Post #140618
Posted 2/11/2007 12:56:58 PM
Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 11/21/2007 12:50:05 AM
yes ekkies require alot more fresh foods in their diet and from what I have read ekkies don't do well pellets so they should not have alot so seeds, lots of fresh veggies especially those high in vitamin A yams, squash etc. and sprouts as well as grains like cooked brown or wild rice. 

There is a wondeful site in regards to ekkies

http://www.landofvos.com/eclectus.html

This site you can find, healthy problems related to ekkies, diet and much much more.

Eclectus if they are given a good diet and live in a healthy environement can live up to 60 years or more..but thats just a general concesus sometimes life is not always kind and things can and do happen..but generally they can live a good long life if they are fed right and kept healthy.

My Flock:

Illiger's Mini Macaw: Keebler
Military Macaw: Gypsy
Senegal: Opie
White Bellied Caique:Mango
Pied Cockatiel: Max
Cinnamon Cockatiel: Tweety
African Grey: Gracie
Cherry Head Conure: Scarlett
White Eyed Conure: Merlin
Umbrella Cockatoo: Harley

Post #140630
Posted 2/12/2007 2:40:38 PM

Just Hatched

Well, last night when I got off work, I went to the store around 10:00PM. I bought that little spoiled boy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I went home, looked them all up to see their nutrtional value for sure, and I was pretty right on with my decisions. Nearly everything I bought him is an excellent quality of Vitamin A.

I bought him bean pod spouts, brocolli, oranges, green apples, carrots, a plum, a nectarine, a kiwi, zuccini squash, and a couple other things. I remember they were high in vitamin A, but I just can't recall what it was.

He's getting a bean mix with corn, peas, carrots, pasta, mustard greens, and a few other things in the morning. He has been since I bought him. Then in the afternoon I'm taking it out and giving him what I buy him for the week. At night I'd put the Zupreem natural pellets back in his cage.

Is that up to par? Haha. I'm trying!

Post #140690
Posted 2/12/2007 3:43:41 PM

Feather Fanatic

Sounds good, other than the fact that you don't want to leave the foods in the cage for more then 2-4 hours at a max... most people will recommend 2 hours.... in colder climates they could be left a bit longer... but if it's hot they need to be removed sooner. One can also add in a mix veggie, frozen into dishes, or add a couple ice cubes to fresh veggies to make them last a bit longer. Otherwise though, you don't want to leave food in too long to prevent spoilage.

You might want to look into getting the Healthy Bird Cookbook by Robin Deutsch for a lot of recipes! Even try mixing in some brown rice, or wild rices too! Plenty of veggies, some cooked eggs too... maybe even pastas and sprouts.... sounds good!

Post #140697
Posted 2/18/2007 7:45:39 PM

Fully Fledged

Fully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully FledgedFully Fledged

Last Login: 10/2/2008 6:51:36 PM
A healthy happy ekkie should live beond 40 years. It really does depend on the upbringing.

I'd change the diet also. Pellets can have long term health effects, even natural ones. Ekkies have a longer than other parrots digestive tract & should be on a 80% soft food diet which includes fresh fruit & veg, cooked foods etc, 20% everything else.

An excellent source of the right vits for them is sprouting their seeds.

www.eclectusparrots.net

Post #141029
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Flock Moderator, Animal Network Admin, ladyhawke50, Pepper's Pa, Monica, Assistant Moderator, FeathersNFuz

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:50am